I got the upgrade bug! Recommendations please?

Yes, I'd like to have some fill in the back. My kids love music in the van. My daughter, who is 7 likes to take over the iPod while we're driving.

All head units have amps built in. No not ALL headunits have built in amps - but for his purposes and budget he is going to have one with a built-in amp
The type of amp you need if you are looking to power all four of your door speakers is a 4-channel amp. Also not entirely true, to be more accurate amps put power to channels not speakers. he would be perfectly fine to get a 2 channel amp because (based on the suggestion from @mylows10; he is only putting power to a front channel and a rear channel and allowing the remaining speakers to be powered by the HU.

Go to crutchfield.com and put in your vehicle and they will tell you what fits. Word!!

Pretty soon you will be spending all your pay checks on car audio... look at my sig. I just started doing car audio this summer haha. I already got $1500+ into my system (not to mention countless hours of install and research) but I also never want to leave my car! yes this is a possibility however if you have a family, like i do, i spend almost nothing on my system, i bought my initial equipment but since then have spent more time trading things and waiting for ridiculously good deals on used equipment.
see bold

"Pretty soon you will be spending all your pay checks on car audio... look at my sig. I just started doing car audio this summer haha. I already got $1500+ into my system (not to mention countless hours of install and research) but I also never want to leave my car! yes this is a possibility however if you have a family, like i do, i spend almost nothing on my system, i bought my initial equipment but since then have spent more time trading things and waiting for ridiculously good deals on used equipment."

This precisely! I don't have a ton of money to spend on this stuff. I'm just looking for a decent way to upgrade my sound within a smaller budget.

I originally started with a Crutchfield recommendation for 3 sets of Pioneer coaxials. But, I figured I'd look for opinions here. Perhaps there are better options for around the same price point.

Yeah I know that about the head units. Like the pioneer stage 4.

He has left and right speakers on one channel? o_O

Well, I wasn't thinking about the family aspect. I'm 17 and have a job, so I got some money to blow //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Yeah, I used to be 17, about 23 years ago. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/redface.gif.62fdbfe1a101588a808c4cff71bcb942.gif

No, currently I'm running 4 channels straight of the head unit.

haha no left and right are in fact different channels but when connecting an amp to them (unless you are going active) all you are really trying to do is amping front, rear, and (with a sub) the sub channel.

Since he is doing all EQing and what not from the deck and just needs your basic "better sound" he will be utilizing the front and rear RCAs from the HU. Hence a 2 channel would be a better bet.

I just bought a set of JBL GTO608C's for the front doors. I think I'm going to stay with the factory rear speakers for now. What amp would you recommend? Do I need 4 channel, 2 channel?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

ledvedder

10+ year member
ledvedder
NJ
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from