I got me 2 new 15" subs today.....

captnfangdango
10+ year member

I've been needing new subs for a long time now i was running 4 15" Orion series 2.....i had those subs for 26 years now.....they don't rattle and still hit pretty good...they just don't sem to handle the extended bass of todays tracks.....i did some shopping around and all i had was $225 in my budget....so i bought 2 Power Acoustik GW3-15's..I only paid $100 each..they look to be built pretty good....i'm posting the unboxing here so you guys can see them and tel me what you think of them....as far as i can tell they were released some time in auguest....so i really can't seem to find many reviews on them...thanks for looking.View attachment 26546188View attachment 26546189View attachment 26546190View attachment 26546191View attachment 26546192View attachment 26546193View attachment 26546194View attachment 26546195

they look like my AT strato 15's in the way they are built. Rubber surround with the stitching pattern, motor size, basket is a little different but has practically the same lay out.

Is it a 2.5in coil?

They should be alright. Good price too.

i dunno whats up with the Qts....i hooked one up fre air and it seemed to hit pretty hard...i played bass i love you...lol...bounced the sub of the floor with only 100 watts...when i ordered them i couldn't find much spec's on them....kind of went by looks...the link you posted is the same that came with them....i'm planning in a box 8cf....tuned to 30.....

Those subs are in no way designed for a ported box, def a sealed box subwoofer. They aren't going to be amazing performers ported and are going to want a HUGE box, there is just no motor force on those things, ridiculously undermotored. No offense, but if you've rocked your current stuff for 26 years, you should have asked on here what to get to fit your intended box, since you clearly didn't try to match your box to your sub or visca-versa.

Those subs are in no way designed for a ported box, def a sealed box subwoofer. They aren't going to be amazing performers ported and are going to want a HUGE box, there is just no motor force on those things, ridiculously undermotored. No offense, but if you've rocked your current stuff for 26 years, you should have asked on here what to get to fit your intended box, since you clearly didn't try to match your box to your sub or visca-versa.
i was kinda thinking the same thing but didn't want to talk down on his purchase.

Should have got the MOFO's.......

i just found what i thought to be a good deal....my old 15's are only single magnet not stacked....i figured a 8cf box would be fine.....the amp i'm going to run is the one i've had for years...it's an old Lanzar opti drive 50c....not alot of power i know but still packs a bit of punch.....yea i admit that there not the best subs in the world but from my old subs it's what i consider an improvement.....i'm not looking to break any records here.....so do you think a 8cf box is too small??.....

lol I'm laughing so hard right now.

WinISD shows that in order for these subs to have a QTC the same as the QTS, to have the flattest response shape possible in a sealed box, each woofer needs 3,131 cubic feet. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

lol I'm laughing so hard right now.
WinISD shows that in order for these subs to have a QTC the same as the QTS' date=' to have the flattest response shape possible in a sealed box, each woofer needs 3,131 cubic feet. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif[/quote']

wow......thanks guys.....

wow......thanks guys.....
it doesn't mean anything. You can put the subs in a 4 cubic foot box each and still get a good response shape in a sealed box with low group delay. But going ported, you may have a problem. I even tried graphing them in a bandpass but the group delay peaks are just awful, which is a direct result of low motor force.

Too bad you can't see what grade magnetic material they use or what quality steel is in those motors. China can make an impressive looking sub for 40$ but.... Put it this way, I doubt those will last 26 months or sound as good as your 26 year old Orions.

With an EBP of 24, it's no doubt that sub doesn't model well even in a 4th order. They might do well in 8 cubes sealed but in a ported box, I wouldn't look for any sort of good performance.

And to be sure, they do not model, or look, like Audio Technix Stratos.

so my old single slug Orion 15's with a qts of 0.42....is better than these?....i admit i dunnnnno know alot about subs.....my old orions are in a 12cf bux ported to 32....they seemed to hit pretty good....hell i duno i guess....i couldn't afford the mofo's......with shipping ...nope......from what i'm understand i guess i should of just bought some sony exploders......not mad here....just don't understand....

Just run these in a sealed box. If you have 8 cubes go ahead and use it. You literally just picked the strangest sub I've ever seen. That's really weak motor apparently, which makes it very ill suited for a ported application and the Q is so high it can't be brought down to a useable level, IMHO. It's still a sub, it'll make noise, I'd use whatever space is comfortable for you and just do a sealed box. If you don't end up liking it, sell them locally and ask on here what you want next time. Based on what you listen to, available room and budget we can help you make an informed choice and get something that will outperform you old orions.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

captnfangdango

10+ year member
captnfangdango
huntington,wv
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from