I am looking for the best box design for spl...

Participant count
  • Participant list

sbarber82
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I have 4 sa8v2's and I have my box for under the rear seat for daily bumping. I would like to build a box just for comps using the same subs. I was peaking at 52hz in my truck. What would be the best enclosure for straight spl? 4th order, 6th order, ported, etc. Hit me with any and all advice!

You just tossing this thing on the back seats or what?

Full size xcabs are a bish to get loud, dude. Doesn't mean you shouldn't try though. Lol.

I'd start with a regular ol' ported SPL design. I'd probably do subs forward and external ports up. ~ 2 cubes gross with (4) 4" or (2) 6" areos maybe 12-14" long but you'll have to play with the lengths to find the sweet spot if you have a meter or can get some time on one.

Subs up and port(s) to the side would be the next orientaton I'd try. After that, if it isn't working, I'd try to force the wave to develop in a 4th order. Big ratio, bog port. Probably .25 sealed each, 1 cube ported. 50hz or so on the tune. That should put you right around where full sizes like to peak.

2 cubes? I was thinking around 4 cubes.. I will be folding the back seats up and setting the box on the floor. I might get crazy and build a removable wall if I can figure out how to do it. I am thinking like a puzzle I just build then disassemble after the comp..

You just tossing this thing on the back seats or what?
Full size xcabs are a bish to get loud, dude. Doesn't mean you shouldn't try though. Lol.

I'd start with a regular ol' ported SPL design. I'd probably do subs forward and external ports up. ~ 2 cubes gross with (4) 4" or (2) 6" areos maybe 12-14" long but you'll have to play with the lengths to find the sweet spot if you have a meter or can get some time on one.

Subs up and port(s) to the side would be the next orientaton I'd try. After that, if it isn't working, I'd try to force the wave to develop in a 4th order. Big ratio, bog port. Probably .25 sealed each, 1 cube ported. 50hz or so on the tune. That should put you right around where full sizes like to peak.

2 cubes works pretty well //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

283bf749.jpg

What numbers were you posting with that setup?

2 cubes works pretty well //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
283bf749.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

I am running over 2 cubes now...

What numbers were you posting with that setup?  

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

I am running over 2 cubes now...
That setup was good for 153.8 on ~ the same power you are running now (if you're running that Ampere).

well the comp i ran today and prob will run again in the future is 30 sec average on music… i can pick a song that runs a bass line that is at my peak hz. So if i build a box that is 2ft^3 tuned to 50hz i should gain quite a bit?

I ran a average of 137.4.. I peaked at 138.9 during the run…

I thought i would be louder

The same principle applies to that sort of format. But it's more of a 30 sec burp. We have that in USACi. It's called Street Beat and that's the box I'd use if I were running that class.

---------- Post added at 01:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 AM ----------

i am running the ampere at 1 ohm. was told it clamped 3960w@12.4v. I haven't clamped it myself
I've clamped it. It does that power. Very solid amp. Where did you get that number?

The same principle applies to that sort of format. But it's more of a 30 sec burp. We have that in USACi. It's called Street Beat and that's the box I'd use if I were running that class. 

---------- Post added at 01:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 AM ----------

I've clamped it. It does that power. Very solid amp. Where did you get that number?
What number?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.