HU Question, and Wiring a car from scratch?

Participant count
  • Participant list

MINTt

Hey guys I drive an 02 mustang that came with the mach 460 audio package, and its time to make some replacements.

I hae a couple different topics I would like to know more about/get help with, but first a quick overview of the mach 460 system for those of you who don't know.

The mach 460 and mach 1000 were optional audio packages in late 90's and early 00's mustangs. I've read that the speakers were not wired left and right, but front and back.

The speakers are 6 ohm, and run off of 8 ohm amps.

When I bought my car the faceplate of the hu in it was lost so I had no idea how it would sound.

After installing my HU I discovered that the speakers were old and would start to pop at mid level volume and the quality was not good.

Now I have a little extra money and plan to put in new speakers and an new HU, heres where my questions come in.

If I'm looking at a Boss BV9372BI HU, which says its power output is 320 Watts (80 Watts x 4 Ch)

and i want to install 4 BOSS SK573 5x7" 700W PHANTOM SKULL 3 Way Car Audio Coaxial Speakers, do I need a separate amp or is the HU supplying enough power for the speakers?

Crutchfield suggested I buy a Sound Ordnanc M-4050 4-ch amp 50 watts RMS x 4ch

Are they just trying to upsell me on an amp?

Also I have wired subs and radios before, but never speakers, I would assume I would need to rewire all the speakers to make them left and right not front and back, is my assumption correct?

If so where do i start in learning how to wire a system from scratch, I've looked online and not really found anything about wiring speakers from nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry for the long post but thanks for reading through it all!

Boss, Pyle, Crunch, ect. are garbage. There are many good brands like KHA said. I'd add Hertz and possibly pioneer to that list, depending on which series you go with

i left out the nicer brands given the OP is looking at some of the cheapest speakers on the market.

for wiring speakers, if you want to bypass the factory amp, you need to run new wiring from each speaker to the amp.

if your budget is light, leave the factory amp and just upgrade the speakers while using the stock wiring.

Everything I read says I cant use the stock amp without burning it out or overheating and then my speakers will stop working.

The stock amp is 8 ohm and most speakers for sale are 4 ohm everything I've read says that would be a problem.

Also I don't have much money to spend on this, I don't have a working sound system right now and anything would be okay for me I can't really afford to spend more than $250.

But I do have dual 12" terminator subs with an amp.

Thank you for your suggestions on better brands, I would like to know if the HU I mentioned could indeed supply enough power to run the speakers efficiently.

I'm a poor college student and I will always be able to upgrade at a later date, I just need something thats not terrible.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.