HT - JBL vs. Polk Audio

slim j
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
ca.com
I am looking at doing a small HT. I was thinking of having a MTM for mains and a smaller two-way in the rear. I don't want to spend much more than $650.

I have seen polk audio monitor series and jbl venue series go for about this price.

Other brand suggestions would be appreciated. I don't want to spend too much as I only watch about 1 movie every other month, but I might make it a point to watch more (maybe 2 or 3 per month) if I had a good sounding system.

I have a full northridge E setup which is the last version of the venue series.. I LOVE THEM. They took awhile to break in but once they did WOW, for the cash, cannot be beat period in my mind. From movies or just jamming, they do it all perfectly... Do not go for the older northridge, did not like them near as much. The Northridge E versions are great.

I have the e80 fronts...

ec35 center channel

e10 side surrounds

e20 rears

e250p sub

Bought it all online for dirt. Paid over 65% less than best buy was selling them for and that was shipped! Check ebay. You could get whatever you want in the northridge series for far less than the new venue linup.

Thanks,

I don't have ebay at work but will look. I also couldn't find the northridge set from one vendor.

Which is newer the ones with different names...voice, balcony, etc or the northridge?

Polk is having a sale where they knock $199 off the price of the sub...would that change things? The Polk set is cheaper if you search and find the outlet prices at crutchfield.

Honestly... If someone wants a cheaper system I would say the JBL gear isn't bad. It's not up to my standards but then again they aren't 3grand a pair either....
I understand but it's hard to justify expensive speakers if you aren't going to use them. It would take a year for me to break in most of that equipment (at 40 hours break-in time).

I kind of feel like those poor shmoes who skimp out on car audio gear. I spend more time driving than I do watching TV.

TO me HT equipment is set far and away from my home audio. To me, they do not mix well. I bought the JBL specifically for HT and to ocassionally crank it and jam. Cheap, does the job and does it better than anything I have found in it's price range and slightly above it's price range.

Like infinity products as well?
Harman Interional owns Infinity, JBL, Harman Kardon, Crown, Morel...to name a few //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif

Honestly... If someone wants a cheaper system I would say the JBL gear isn't bad. It's not up to my standards but then again they aren't 3grand a pair either....
Ever listened to Infinity's old Prelude? **** is all I can say //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/up2something.gif.dd110ecf3ae4b76050d87598f2f8de7c.gif If I had money to get a nice HT, I'd probably rock JBL's Hercules. (Without going into rediculous mounts of money..like B&W Naut's)

I understand but it's hard to justify expensive speakers if you aren't going to use them. It would take a year for me to break in most of that equipment (at 40 hours break-in time).
I kind of feel like those poor shmoes who skimp out on car audio gear. I spend more time driving than I do watching TV.
Yea that is totally understand able, I just use mine a lot more. Mostly I listen to music hence the 700 series fronts and the 600 rears...

TO me HT equipment is set far and away from my home audio. To me, they do not mix well. I bought the JBL specifically for HT and to ocassionally crank it and jam. Cheap, does the job and does it better than anything I have found in it's price range and slightly above it's price range.
HT and Home Stereo are very different. But you sould buy what you use. Like, I listen to music way more than I watch movies, but I still wanted good center/surround.

Harman Interional owns Infinity, JBL, Harman Kardon, Crown, Morel...to name a few //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/yumyum.gif.0556df42231b304b9c995aefd13928a8.gif

Ever listened to Infinity's old Prelude? **** is all I can say //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/up2something.gif.dd110ecf3ae4b76050d87598f2f8de7c.gif If I had money to get a nice HT, I'd probably rock JBL's Hercules. (Without going into rediculous mounts of money..like B&W Naut's)

Never heard the Preludes, but just have never liked much from the Infinity line up. I like the JBL Project Arrays and the K2's but for that price there is other speakers which are equal if not better....

I still want a pair of 800D's or 801D's.... But I doubt that will happen any time soon... haahha

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.