How would you connect these spade terminals?

CadillacMatt
10+ year member

Disturbing the Peace
Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out what would be the best way to connect these spade cup terminals to my subs. They are pretty small, looks like 16-18ga connectors but I really don't think it's going to make a big difference, do you?

I was thinking spade terminals would be the best route. I was also entertaining the thought of soldering the wires directly onto the spades, or maybe soldering the connectors... so many options //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

I know it looks messy but everything's bonded in with aircraft-grade epoxy (Plexus) and plus it's on the inside so you'd never see it anyhow.

DCP_0006.jpg

IIRC Lowes and home depot have spade terminals that size.
Female spades are pretty much the only way to go...
Would you guys suggest just crimping them on or soldering? I went and bought a cheapy little soldering iron and some rosin core solder from Wal-Mart JIC //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Would you guys suggest just crimping them on or soldering? I went and bought a cheapy little soldering iron and some rosin core solder from Wal-Mart JIC //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif
That small, crimping should get the job done, but I prefer to solder all my permanent connections regardless.

Ok thanks fellas I will try my virgin hands at soldering //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Oh and BTW 16ga should be plenty for these subs, right? I really don't see the need for massive wire.

braze the males and then apply one of these....then reheat and they will be permanent until you reheat

Hmm.. brazing? Please enlighten me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

He's saying apply solder to the terminal cup connectors, then connect the spade terminals and heat up joining the spade to the terminal cup connectors. I would personally just run wire through the hole and wrap it around, then solder.

He's saying apply solder to the terminal cup connectors, then connect the spade terminals and heat up joining the spade to the terminal cup connectors. I would personally just run wire through the hole and wrap it around, then solder.
Ah OK. Both ways seem pretty solid. Thanks guys //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

lol at your spelling skills, you can't even blame that on being a typo
yeah i **** the bed on that one. when i type fast i dont usaly think of differnt spellings of words, just what ever pops into my head first gets typed. i get reamed pretty bad on some other forums for my spelling

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.