How to wire in a PAC SWI-JACK?

Participant count
  • Participant list

klingcam
10+ year member

Norcal
I'm installing a new Kenwood head unit and a SWI-JACK(to mate the steering wheel controls to the new HU) into a 2002 Odyssey(no nav/DVD system). Couple of questions: The SWI JACK says its interface wire needs to be hooked up to pin 3 on the existing Honda wire harness, but I can't find any evidence from wiring diagrams that pin 3 has anything to do with steering wheel radio controls. In fact, on the aftermarket wire harness adapter it looks as if pin 3 has nothing. So, 1) where is the pin or wire located in the Honda wiring that originates from the steering wheel controls that should be connected to the SWI interface wire? and 2) Both the SWI-JACK and the new Kenwood require a switched 12V (red) wire and a ground (black) wire. So does that mean that I am manually going to have to split or Y-connect the existing Honda ground and 12V to accomodate both new units?

Any help would be appreciated.

There is one wire that is multiplexed(veriable voltage) that controls the deck frfom the steering wheel. The jack comes with wireing diagrams, there show pin positions from the WIRE/PIN side of the harness. Also on the large table of cars the unit comes with it should have a wire color listed plus any special instructons u may need to follow.

You will have to manually SPLICE into 12v and gnd. Easy to find if u have a dmm, also to verify the sw wire is correct use a dmm with the factory deck plugged in and push the sw buttons to see an adjustment in voltage. Like vol up is 3.5v and vol down may be 2.9v....make sure the factory deck is plugged vin. A

Now...if u do not know how to splice or own/know how to operate a dmm....please take this to a lolcal qualified installation shop.because if you do not know how to do these simple things u will fail with this install.

By the way read the ENTIRE programing instruction many times before attempting or u will get fustrated.

On most vehicles, installing a steering wheel adapter should be rather easy. On PACs website, there are "detailed" instructions on which wire to use and a good location to find it. If not, join Odyssey Owners Club | Honda Odyssey Owners Club - Home and see if there's anyone there who's done it before. They should be able to walk you through it, hopefully. And, I'm honestly really surprised I was able to find a forum dedicated to the Honda Odyssey.

Thanks for the help. If nothing else, I should be able to isolate the Odyssey's multiplexed wire by process of elimination. The SWI install instructions are clear, so no probs there. I have plenty of knowledge splicing/soldering, dmm, etc. Thanks for answering my question about the ground and 12V wires....and agreed, the programming instrucs are a little complex. I've read them 2 or 3 times already to be safe.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.