HOw to wire 4 4ohm door speakers to one two channel amp?

Geez I think you must already be a car audio guru to understand that site...but I'm trying to weed through it and find what I need. I've been pmed a diagram already, but I didn't really understand it.

I have this diagram

4_4ohm_svc_4ohm.gif

Just trying to sort through it. I only see one channel of the amp represented, unless I'm missing something. Which is confusing me.

first, please post model or specs of amp.

if amp is 2 ohm stable per channel. just connect 2 of the speakers + wires together on the positive terminal, and 2 of the speakers - wires together on the negative terminal. repeat on other channel with the unused speakers.

if its 4 ohms stable only per channel you would be better off running only two of then, one on each channel.

The amp is MB quart RAA2400. Speakers are focal 130 a1 components in front, infinity kappa 6x8 coax in rear door. If I can only run 2 speakers off of it, I don't need this amp. I have a slash 300/4 with one rear channel that is killing my speakers by sending dc voltage. If I can only run 2 speakers I'd just keep the jl and use the two good front channels for the front two door speakers, and my mono amp for a sub. But, I was hoping to run all 4 door speakers off of an amp, and the sub off a mono amp. I was told this amp would be capable of running 4 speakers even though it's only 2 channels, and the price is right.

that amp is 2 ohm stable.

Just connect both speakers to each side.

I think it is going to sound like **** cause you will have too much rear fill but YMMV

Personally I would run the front speakers off the MB Quart Amp and the rear speakers off the headunit that way you can use your fader to set the rear fill amount.

Hmmm. I was thinking it would sound better because the rear speakers would sound clearer running off of an amp than the head unit? That way when I turn it up they will not distort. Is this not the case?

Maybe I should just keep the jl slash amp then since the two front channels are fine? Dunno if I should trust it tho since a rear channel went out

If I try running all 4 speakers and see what it sounds like, wiring it up to 2 ohms will effectively double the wattage sent to the speakers, correct? So I will need to keep this in mind and be careful not to overload my speakers.

Also, my speakers are 4 ohm speakers, does that mean that I should not attempt to wire them to the amp this way? Or, just because the amp is wired to 2 ohm, does that or doesn't it automatically mean the speakers are seeing 2 ohms?

Thanks for bearing with me and I appreciate all the help. I'm going with the mbquart either way, because it sounds to be a better amp to me so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want a 4 channel amp, but am having a hard time finding one in my price range. The mb quart is a nice amp and it's within my price range. Don't have as much to spend as I did when I bought the slash.

I don't think I could get much for jl amp with a bad channel or an old Sony xplod amp. Not enough to really help. I would prefer a 4 or 6 channel tho. When I'm back on top of my finances I was thinking I would upgrade this truck and transfer the other stuff to another truck I have. A lot to consider

Hmmm. I was thinking it would sound better because the rear speakers would sound clearer running off of an amp than the head unit? That way when I turn it up they will not distort. Is this not the case?
No, crispin is correct. If you do not know how to setup the phasing of all four drivers from the headrest, the best bet is to just run the front ones. Less cancellation through the entire response. Normally, you cannot pinpoint exact frequency modulations from left and right ear during music, unless those frequencies are excited, but if you run sweeps, you will notice as the frequency increases, during certain room modes, the sound will travel from one side to the other very clearly. This is phasing issues and you want to avoid that as much as possible.

It might sound strange at first, but as long as you are not worried of VLF frequencies through your mids, you can configure it purposely out of phase in a push pull configuration, such as a dipole idea, since you actually sit not in the middle of the vehicle, but towards the window, This you will find during a sweep may fix phasing issues and smooth the response in the 180-500Hz range(most noticable phasing issues). Some would disagree, only because it sounds different to them. It actually pressurizes the ears differently, which can cause you to pop them every now and then. But this would only work that I am aware of with all four connected, if you wire the right side out of phase. Less low end, but smoother response because the soundwaves are working with eachother and not against.

Not sure if this works in every vehicle as each one is different, but I know in three of them I have setup, it has worked well. And again, a LOT (and I mean a lot) would not like the way it changes their perceptive hearing, because they are not used to it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.