Amp not getting power? Please help

Participant count
  • Participant list

MetalHead247365

Hi everyone. I know I'm a new guy, but I need help on this. I've been tearing my hair out all day.

Here's the story. I got a new amp from a friend for practically free, still sealed in the box to temporarily replace my old Alpine amp that died. I hooked it all up today, and started the car, and whaddya know, an issue. The problem is that the amp isn't turning on.

"No problem" I thought. I busted out my multimeter, and started taking readings. This is where it gets confusing. I'm getting 12ish volts from my remote turn-on wire, and barely a volt from my power wire. Anybody know why? I've been into car audio for a while and can troubleshoot a lot of things, but this has me stumped. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

fuse, bad connection at the battery just dmm it at every break point until it reads right.
I checked it by the inline fuse. At the other end of the fuse [the part that is furthest away from the battery], it drops off to about 7volts. It think I found the problem...

bad ground , loose terminals , check every end of your power/ground wires
I don't know if this could be an issue, but I found a part of the power wire that has been butt-spliced together. Could that cause an issue with the voltage? My ground is fine. Bolted in the trunk on bare metal.

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.