How to test if line-out works? Everything seems fine but speakers doesn't work

Participant count
  • Participant list

Willydk

Denmark
Hello. I will try to be as detailed as possible.

I own bmw E46, i have replaced my stock NAVI radio unit with this

Android radio 7" Car Stereo DVD GPS for BMW 3 Series E46 M3 318 320 325 330 DVB T TV Camera | eBay

• I plugged my RCAs using radio's LINE OUT R and LINE OUT L into my amp that sits in the trunk.
  • AMP is connected straight to the battery(battery is in the trunk)
  • Ground wire connected to non-painted metal chasis that I scratched with a knife just to be sure
  • My temporary remote wire is a wire connected from tail light(the one that is on when ignition is on)
  • AMP Powers up, no security lights are on - speakers doesn't work //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I tested that speakers do work using home amp.

I tried testing RCA's using my multimeter, but I feel like a total newb because I'm not sure how to do it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Which setting do I pick on multimeter and which contacts do I test?

Another try - I tried connecting my phone using 2.5mm to RCA cable, i could hear the speaker working, but it was really silent(I know it's not supposed to work like that, just wanted to see if everything is connected)

I bought High Level Speaker Signal to Low Level RCA adapter, but I'm still hoping I won't have to use it since my radio has front L/R and rear L/R rca outputs :/

Help please //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Plug in some RCA's. Set your multimeter to ac voltage. Play a test tone (or music) and touch the leads to the RCA cord end. See if there is any voltage

Using a test tone will allow you to see what voltage your head unit can actually put out, but music is fine if you just want to test for signal.

there are several line outputs, which ones did you use?

you won't measure much AC voltage on the RCA output unless you play a test tone (50Hz) and crank the volume up. be careful to not short the center pin to shield when measuring.

set DMM on VAC (AC Voltage). it will be less than 2V,

Plug in some RCA's. Set your multimeter to ac voltage. Play a test tone (or music) and touch the leads to the RCA cord end. See if there is any voltage
Using a test tone will allow you to see what voltage your head unit can actually put out, but music is fine if you just want to test for signal.
Thanks a lot for your fast answer!! Just to be sure, I made a visual, is that correct?

15Yez8t.jpg

there are several line outputs, which ones did you use?
you won't measure much AC voltage on the RCA output unless you play a test tone (50Hz) and crank the volume up. be careful to not short the center pin to shield when measuring.

set DMM on VAC (AC Voltage). it will be less than 2V,
I actually tried both. And I started mixing them up when I lost all the hope //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I was playing a regular song I was hoping to see some numbers at least. I will download the test track. Thanks!

yea, that track will do. 60Hz is ideal since the DMM is designed to measure that frequency.

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 PM ----------

no, your DMM setting is wrong. it's on DC. AC is on the other side, around 1-o'clock

yea, that track will do. 60Hz is ideal since the DMM is designed to measure that frequency. 

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 PM ----------

no, your DMM setting is wrong. it's on DC. AC is on the other side, around 1-o'clock
Thanks! I wil test them out and post if my head unit output is not functioning //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

(little off-topic - i loved your build log themes - amazing job!)

What KHA said. He'll always steer you in the right direction
Thanks for the help guys, I used 60hz test track. Sadly, my line-out does not work. I'm guessing that I will have to use High Level Speaker Signal to Low Level RCA Adapter

Okay, I installed the adapter, and I was getting 3V, 5V on loud volume.

But the bass speaker volume is very low even though it's on max. Will try different connections (tried bridged now)

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.