how to run a 3-way component set?

Participant count
  • Participant list

4x4runner
10+ year member

I am looking for a 3-way set of components to put in a 996 carrera . the factory system has 5 1/4 in the doors , 4 inch and tweeter in the dash. The factory system is horrible and i am looking to replace the hu , add an amp , and a 3-way component set-up. I am on an extreme budget... I am not worried about the amp/hu choice yet until i figure out the speakers. The limited number of lower cost 3-way sets has me thinking about running a 4" component/tweeter set in the dash and then some 5.25" midbass in the doors. On a 4 channel amp , could i run two channels to the component set using the passive crossover , then use the other two channels for the midbass? how would i crossover the midbass?

btw , the rear speakers are 4x6 and will probably not be used . the main reason to stay with a 3-way system is there will be no sub stage and it is necessary to have at least better than factory midbass response.

The Porsche set-up has a 4" component set in the dash and 5 1/4 mid in the door. I don't want to run a 2-way only set. here is what i am looking at

CDT Cl-5e 5.25" midbass drivers for the doors. $89

MB Quart RUA210 4" Components for the dash $119

Eclipse EA4100 4 channel amp $136

I am probably going for an alpine hu with built in crossovers to run the midbass active as they come without passive crossovers.

yes this may be low budget for a porsche carrera , but if you have heard a cd-220 system you would know almost anything is better . you cant even hear the factory system with the top down w/o major distortion.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.