How to properly make a ground!!!!!

what about if i use a big factory bolt in the back (SUV) like the one holding the seats its a big black bolt should the bolt have to be grinded down to bare metal too or does the bolt not matter and is that a good ground

I would just add,use something to treat the area you removed the paint from.Spray paint or a clear coat,primer is not waterproof like a regular paint is so it will still allow moisture to get to the metal and cause rust or corrosion.

Painting the ground or using undercoat is good. I like silicone sealant. Easy to apply in a controlled way. Corrosion=distortion/unclean sound.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/furious.gif.fc81ca146dbff91fede3ed290dbc4f4c.gif p.s. Unfounded and/or Overstated Genius + Condescending Tone = Arrogance (also known as the opposite of humility, and unattractive)

great post and has good info but i have a question, there are no direct bolts to the frame in my truck (acessable) so i was thinking about drilling through floor and bolting directly to frame! but i need it to be sealed up after because i offroad all the time and dont want water in my truck (again!) (last time it fried my brand new speaker amp but luckly my sub amp still worked) so how should i gruond it? curently i have a 6in piece of 0gauge running to seat bolt. using a bolt and nut because i wanted a locking washer on there so it dosent vibrate loose.

so you have any ideas on how i can upgrade it?

if you are dead set on grounding to the frame then get a hold of a rubber grommet that will fit you 0 guage and create a water tight seal. Make sure to weatherize the connection as well to protect from corrosion.

im not dead set on it i was just wondering if you knew how to go to the frame or if the seat bolt will work? i have been told many times seat bolts are a bad place but there are 8 bolts near my amp, 4 on the driver seat and 4 on the passenger seat. no other bolts within a 3 foot area. so is that good enough or should i just go to the frame and get a rubber grommet?

Honda needs to read this thread. Little to no insulation on the stock wires and the only metal to metal contact was 1-2 threads of the bolt. Thanks for the great thread.

im not dead set on it i was just wondering if you knew how to go to the frame or if the seat bolt will work? i have been told many times seat bolts are a bad place but there are 8 bolts near my amp, 4 on the driver seat and 4 on the passenger seat. no other bolts within a 3 foot area. so is that good enough or should i just go to the frame and get a rubber grommet?
If your that worried run the ground back to the battery. I wouldn't suggest making your ground connection on the outside of the vehicle if you go off-roading because it's going to be exposed...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...