How to properly make a ground!!!!!

Worlddre

Big Darkie
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Sep 7, 2004
Charlotte, NC
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
ideally you want the point at which your ring contacts the vehicle chassis paint-free

loudassbug

10+ year member
Oct 12, 2010
Easton,Maryland
I would just add,use something to treat the area you removed the paint from.Spray paint or a clear coat,primer is not waterproof like a regular paint is so it will still allow moisture to get to the metal and cause rust or corrosion.

klingcam

10+ year member
Oct 9, 2010
Norcal
Painting the ground or using undercoat is good. I like silicone sealant. Easy to apply in a controlled way. Corrosion=distortion/unclean sound.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/furious.gif.fc81ca146dbff91fede3ed290dbc4f4c.gif p.s. Unfounded and/or Overstated Genius + Condescending Tone = Arrogance (also known as the opposite of humility, and unattractive)

907tacokid

Sep 9, 2011
chugiak alaska
great post and has good info but i have a question, there are no direct bolts to the frame in my truck (acessable) so i was thinking about drilling through floor and bolting directly to frame! but i need it to be sealed up after because i offroad all the time and dont want water in my truck (again!) (last time it fried my brand new speaker amp but luckly my sub amp still worked) so how should i gruond it? curently i have a 6in piece of 0gauge running to seat bolt. using a bolt and nut because i wanted a locking washer on there so it dosent vibrate loose.

so you have any ideas on how i can upgrade it?

Worlddre

Big Darkie
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Sep 7, 2004
Charlotte, NC
if you are dead set on grounding to the frame then get a hold of a rubber grommet that will fit you 0 guage and create a water tight seal. Make sure to weatherize the connection as well to protect from corrosion.

907tacokid

Sep 9, 2011
chugiak alaska
im not dead set on it i was just wondering if you knew how to go to the frame or if the seat bolt will work? i have been told many times seat bolts are a bad place but there are 8 bolts near my amp, 4 on the driver seat and 4 on the passenger seat. no other bolts within a 3 foot area. so is that good enough or should i just go to the frame and get a rubber grommet?

Kazimir

10+ year member
Dec 8, 2010
DC
Honda needs to read this thread. Little to no insulation on the stock wires and the only metal to metal contact was 1-2 threads of the bolt. Thanks for the great thread.

bubbagumper6

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Apr 25, 2006
The D
im not dead set on it i was just wondering if you knew how to go to the frame or if the seat bolt will work? i have been told many times seat bolts are a bad place but there are 8 bolts near my amp, 4 on the driver seat and 4 on the passenger seat. no other bolts within a 3 foot area. so is that good enough or should i just go to the frame and get a rubber grommet?
If your that worried run the ground back to the battery. I wouldn't suggest making your ground connection on the outside of the vehicle if you go off-roading because it's going to be exposed...

rumblefish

10+ year member
Jan 24, 2010
alabama
I have a battery in the back at the amps. I would like to use my dmm to check the grounds. To clarify, do I need to disconnect the battery before I check the resistance?

Worlddre

Big Darkie
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Sep 7, 2004
Charlotte, NC
no you should actually measure the voltage drop across your system while it is under load to test for a good ground location.

pointblank9957

Aug 5, 2012
Quinnesec
in my 98 Eclipse i just used the factory bolt right under the trunk floor on the left side, i used a 4awg battery terminal and sanded the paint off the trunk floor and bolted the ****er down. i only used 3' of 4awg wire for ground and 17' for the positive, kept the cost down. but Eclipse Spyders are the WORST cars to get loud because theyre soft-tops.. but it works i guess. the MOFO hits pretty decently

dagormz

Nov 4, 2014
United States
There are often questions about making grounds in electrical help, could we make this a sticky there?

Hertz Mafia

FEATHER RUFFLER
Jul 2, 2016
Michigan
Here are some grounds courtesy of FHRX Studios Sydney Australia, setting the standard! Notice the triple ground point in the boot.. Very important..Every install is able to strip back to standard. Any mod in this Country can void your insurance.Fhrx Studios Pty Ltd - Audio / Visual Connoisseurs. Free Shipping Australia Wide.
Those thin pieces of aluminum will melt under a huge load... Idk hope much power your running but by the amount of wire seems like a lot... Should be 1/2" aluminum at minimum and looks like you have 1/8th thick

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds