How to properly fill a gap between head unit and pocket underneath?

When I had that problem I fired up SolidWorks, modelled a cubby that fit properly, then put the 3d printer to work. 17 hours later, done deal. Shoulda took some pic's.......

Someone clearly has never installed professionally. The customer (OP) did not want the Metra dash kit, without fabbing up something (extra $) he provided what the OP wanted without extra cost. You don't know if it was poor customer service or he simply did as the OP wanted and stayed within budget. For all we know the installer offered solutions but they were not viable for the OP. It happens, but sometimes you have to do what the customer wants even if you don't think it looks good.
To the OP: Either go with one of the designed kits, or have something fiberglassed, those are the two proper ways to get this fixed. You can try some black felt as a cheap fix.

Not sure if that was a shot towards me or...?? Tell me exactly the diff is between professionally installed and someone else that did the same thing?? Unless it's a hack job or half assed then I can see the possibilities. Looks installed to me. but looks are everything after the work is done.

In this case it looks 1/2 assed. It also looks like an opening for a double din...OP is there a reason why you chose a single din? It would prob look 1000% times better with a bigger radio in there. The installer prob either didn't know what he was doing, or just cookie cutter'd it up and called it good. Some creative thinking might need to be done here.....but if install kits are avail then I dunno.

OP is there a reason why you chose a single din? It would prob look 1000% times better with a bigger radio in there. The installer prob either didn't know what he was doing, or just cookie cutter'd it up and called it good. Some creative thinking might need to be done here.....but if install kits are avail then I dunno.
A bigger radio would have been my choice if I didn't have all these gauges that needed to be mounted. The DEH-80PRS is supposed to be a great head unit. The exterior is very cheaply made compared to my old Eclipse ECD-413 that I had back in the '90s, though. This is the first non-stock stereo that I've had in a long time, and it's disappointing that the manufacturers now use such chintzy feeling plastic on the outside.

Another nice thing that I noticed today is that when I shut the glovebox, the display changes, and/or shuts off! I think it's defective. Improper wiring couldn't do that, could it?

A bigger radio would have been my choice if I didn't have all these gauges that needed to be mounted. The DEH-80PRS is supposed to be a great head unit. The exterior is very cheaply made compared to my old Eclipse ECD-413 that I had back in the '90s, though. This is the first non-stock stereo that I've had in a long time, and it's disappointing that the manufacturers now use such chintzy feeling plastic on the outside.
Another nice thing that I noticed today is that when I shut the glovebox, the display changes, and/or shuts off! I think it's defective. Improper wiring couldn't do that, could it?
Wow that is interesting!! It could be a few things, a short somewhere causing that, your glovebox wiring to the light is prob mixed in with the harness to the radio. Some mfgr's do this. Maybe if you shut the glovebox gently it won't change? Try that.

Almost everything is breakable nowadays. Take a look at your parents items that still work today and compare that with the same item today. Back then, things were built to last. That scared mfgr because no one was buying....because they lasted that long. So...made of plastic was the route to go and cheaper labor/enexpensive.

Wow that is interesting!! It could be a few things, a short somewhere causing that, your glovebox wiring to the light is prob mixed in with the harness to the radio. Some mfgr's do this. Maybe if you shut the glovebox gently it won't change? Try that.
Almost everything is breakable nowadays. Take a look at your parents items that still work today and compare that with the same item today. Back then, things were built to last. That scared mfgr because no one was buying....because they lasted that long. So...made of plastic was the route to go and cheaper labor/enexpensive.
I can't complain, I only paid $200 for it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

There is no light in the glovebox. I hit the side of the dash by the radio and it does the same thing. When I take it apart, I'll see if anything is loosely connected.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.