How to make my trunk the loudest?

or you could do what everyone else says when I post something... "dont listen to ranger, build a big box that is super peaky and can barely play down to 30hz. then you will be loud, ranger doesnt know what he is talking about"
bigger boxes are acutally less peaky and have better low end extension, sounds like you got more learnings to do

bigger boxes are acutally less peaky and have better low end extension, sounds like you got more learnings to do
I respectfully disagree. I've noticed larger volume boxes have a higher db peak, depending on tuning frequency. Larger boxes do have a far greater potential to pound down low, tuning dependent.

I respectfully disagree. I've noticed larger volume boxes have a higher db peak, depending on tuning frequency. Larger boxes do have a far greater potential to pound down low, tuning dependent.
Well you need to learn more about enclosure design as well. Big boxes are always going to be more efficient and generally play less peaky. Qts and Vas are also important variables. For instance, a woofer with a high qts (~.8) will need a larger box than a woofer with a qts of say .3, in order to play flat (assuming same vas)

How many boxes have you built to base your assumption on? I'm willing the bet the answer is somewhere between none and not very many.

Just finished helping my friend design a box for his 2001 Accord that has the fold down seats. We did subs firing into the cabin and port firing into the passenger side wheel well and it was noticeably louder than his old setup which was sub and port facing rear. When designing enclosures the one thing you got to calculate is your vent mach, and keeping it between 20-25m/sec or else you are not maximizing the full potential output of your sub.

Well you need to learn more about enclosure design as well. Big boxes are always going to be more efficient and generally play less peaky. Qts and Vas are also important variables. For instance, a woofer with a high qts (~.8) will need a larger box than a woofer with a qts of say .3, in order to play flat (assuming same vas)
How many boxes have you built to base your assumption on? I'm willing the bet the answer is somewhere between none and not very many.
While my respectful disagreeing being met with disrespect makes things more colorful, I wasn't talking about apples with a Qts of .8 vs. oranges with a Qts of .3 in the big vs. little box query. I was hoping to imply all things being equal save the box volume. Open up any box builder/design program of your choice, and model a 2 ft^3 box @ 33 hz with whatever 12 inch sub. Now make it 4 ft^3. The peaks gets higher almost every time. If you were to build said boxes, the 4 footer would sound peakier too.

IMO

Peace.

Rip the seat out, and Wall it up.Be the loudest I think/my opinion..Can always put seat back stock later if you decide to sell the car.

While my respectful disagreeing being met with disrespect makes things more colorful, I wasn't talking about apples with a Qts of .8 vs. oranges with a Qts of .3 in the big vs. little box query. I was hoping to imply all things being equal save the box volume. Open up any box builder/design program of your choice, and model a 2 ft^3 box @ 33 hz with whatever 12 inch sub. Now make it 4 ft^3. The peaks gets higher almost every time. If you were to build said boxes, the 4 footer would sound peakier too.
IMO

Peace.
I had a box for a single 15 that was on the small side and it was peaky

My box for my two 10s is on the big side for them and its not peaky at all

IMO

Peace.
Are you shitting me? The larger box is the one that will drop the tuning and flatten the curve. And 99% of those programs arent accurate because they dont consider cabin gain.

99097910.jpg

2 different woofers there, not considering cabin gain, both show that the LARGER box has a flatter curve if you pay close attention

I had a box for a single 15 that was on the small side and it was peaky
My box for my two 10s is on the big side for them and its not peaky at all
Definitely a better response here. Thank you for not assuming I've never designed and built any successful boxes for simply arriving at a different conclusion from my experiences from designing and building several different boxes with varying design goals.

Hittin the sheets.

Are you shi[color="[URL="http:////forums/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2"]#2[/URL] f4f4f"]tti[/color]ng me? The larger box is the one that will drop the tuning and flatten the curve. And 99% of those programs arent accurate because they dont consider cabin gain.
You're still looking at two different fruits. Of course increasing net volume will LOWER the tuning, thus FLATTENING the response. My example was 2 ft^3 @ 33 hz vs 4 ft^3 @ 33 hz, not 2 ft^3 @ 33 hz vs. whatever the tuning ends up being at 4 ft^3 while leaving the port size the same for the 2 foot box.

I don't even know why we're debating this really. If I'm being unclear, I apologize. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. Peace.

Edit: Yes, I know the programs consider the listening environment to be anechoic.

Edit #2 : I just noticed your screen print. Thank you for proving with the red and yellow graphs that the same woofer tuned the exact same, in twice the space, will definitely have the higher peak.

You're still looking at two different fruits. Of course increasing net volume will LOWER the tuning, thus FLATTENING the response. My example was 2 ft^3 @ 33 hz vs 4 ft^3 @ 33 hz, not 2 ft^3 @ 33 hz vs. whatever the tuning ends up being at 4 ft^3 while leaving the port size the same for the 2 foot box.
I don't even know why we're debating this really. If I'm being unclear, I apologize. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. Peace.
You are being unclear, the example I posted kept tuning and port size the same and the only variable was volume, I'm trying to show how the curve flattens as volume goes up and nothing else is changed. You never mentioned anything about changing port size until this most recent post. You're not making any sense here.

You are being unclear, the example I posted kept tuning and port size the same and the only variable was volume, I'm trying to show how the curve flattens as volume goes up and nothing else is changed. You never mentioned anything about changing port size until this most recent post. You're not making any sense here.
Check my edits in my above post. You were the one who mentioned anything about the tuning changing. I said ALL things equal save the net volume right after you disagreed with me initially.. I thought that was clear enough. But, if it still wasn't, I apologize.

Sorry for the thread jack.

IMO

Peace.

The easiest way to look at your little debate is sealed boxes. A woofer in a small sealed box is going to be extremely peaky with a weak low-end. The output of the same sub in a bigger box will be more flat and have more of a low-end.

If I had my computer I would post a pic of this in winisd.

/end thread jack

/end dumb debate

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.