How to improve my setup

desitdt
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Hey guys i need some recommendations on how to improve my system. Currently i have a set of Soundstream XSC.5 (5.25 components) in the front and some pioneer 6x8s in the back, they are all powered off a nice rockford fosgate 4 channel (dont remember name and its mounted under seat and cant see the name >.

Now ive had some pierce audio products 15" WMD's that ive had sitting in my room for a while that i got from a friend for a really good price, and i now have enough money to install them. Im installing the 2 15"s in a ported box in the back, but i fear i will lose out on my already lacking midrange.

So my main question is what to do for the doors, 6.5's in all four, better 6x8s in the rear, 8" midranges in the door or under seats? Help me out here //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

if your looking to up sound quality then put a nice set of 6.5 comps in the front doors, and good midbass drivers in the rear doors, forget the 6x8s and get a good design for the ported box and you will be set.

what amp are planning to run on the subs.

Ditch the 5.25's and 6x8's and get a good set of 6.5" comps up front that you can throw 100+ watts at each side. You want something that's efficient and can handle some power to be able to keep up with a pair of 15's. You can use some sort of rear speakers if you'd like...I prefer not to.

i said midbass drives instead of comps because unless someone rides in the back all the time there is no need for tweeters in the back, now if you have passengers on a regular basis then a set of comps for the back would be a good idea.

Opt for 6.5" instead of 6"x8" and you don't want to have speakers in the rear deck pointing straight up into the windshield - better off putting 6.5" in the door. (Sound reflects and also goes thru glass so you're creating a confusing situation with rear deck speakers.) And the main speakers should be the front comps and run the rear comps at a little lower level than the front. The fronts provide the main sound and rear provide somewhat background sound. In fact, I've heard people say that you only need one pr. of speakers in a car for good sound. I prefer 2 pr., I'm not that courageous and if I'm playing AC/DC or Judas Priest I want an extra pr. of comps in the rear..

Last edited by a moderator:
so only use some 6.5 midbass speakers in the rear that are not a component set? my understanding was the midbass driver just took the place of a standard 6.5 in a comp setup, am i wrong? And which 6.5 midbass should i get?

so only use some 6.5 midbass speakers in the rear that are not a component set? my understanding was the midbass driver just took the place of a standard 6.5 in a comp setup, am i wrong? And which 6.5 midbass should i get?
yup. no need for cross overs or tweeters (component set) in the rear unless you haul your friends around constantly. its just kinda filling sound, not huge need for sq. i personally believe 6x8's are better for midbass just because theres more surface space but i'm sure someone will say otherwise. hard to pick speakers specifically for midbass tho imo but no 6 x 8's for the fronts tho. listen to RAM & Phoenix Raisin on that. Neon Black is in the ball park too imo

Upon looking though, i can get a set of 6.5 comps used for the price of just a 6.5 driver new, so if i take some components, and dont install the crossover and tweeter i have a midbass? didnt realize that, i thought they were slightly diffrent from the "midbass" in comp sets that were designed more like a sub.

Also i could just buy an 8" driver, add a crossover and tweer and it would affect the midbass effectivness of the driver?

are the 6.5 drivers in most comp sets not meant to provide as much midbass as some seperate dedicated drivers such as tang band, ID, ect?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.