How to connect equalizer to head unit with subs

Participant count
  • Participants list

jguff330

CarAudio.com Newbie
Ohio
My pioneer avic z2 head unit finally took a dump. As it’s 2019 now and all my gps uses are fully satisfied using my phone, I don’t need another crazy expensive gps head unit. Just having Bluetooth to connect my phone for audio is really all I need (Apple car play would be nice). I see a lot of cheap, good reviewed head units on amazon, but pretty much everything I see under $500 the Built in EQ either terrible or just has bass/treble (I have 2 subwoofers that I need full EQ capabilities.

So I’m wondering how I can accomplish this. Can I hook up one of those old school knob equalizers? I would really only need it for the subs (and use the Head unit built in bass/treble for the door speakers) so I wouldn’t have run the door speaker wires to the EQ. Is that even possible? Ideally the eq would be reachable but not in the way. (Glove box, center console or something. I have a crew cab truck and the amp is behind the back seat.

What’s are some of my options here?

My pioneer avic z2 head unit finally took a dump. As it’s 2019 now and all my gps uses are fully satisfied using my phone, I don’t need another crazy expensive gps head unit. Just having Bluetooth to connect my phone for audio is really all I need (Apple car play would be nice). I see a lot of cheap, good reviewed head units on amazon, but pretty much everything I see under $500 the Built in EQ either terrible or just has bass/treble (I have 2 subwoofers that I need full EQ capabilities.

So I’m wondering how I can accomplish this. Can I hook up one of those old school knob equalizers? I would really only need it for the subs (and use the Head unit built in bass/treble for the door speakers) so I wouldn’t have run the door speaker wires to the EQ. Is that even possible? Ideally the eq would be reachable but not in the way. (Glove box, center console or something. I have a crew cab truck and the amp is behind the back seat.

what are you talking about, literally any pioneer, kenwood, jvc, alpine touch screen double din has a 9 to 13 band EQ, some even have active network crossovers. If you are looking at android units, they are all garbage for audio, skip completely. Your old pioneer is from the stone ages, everything new now is lightyears ahead of that era.

I'm saying that my pioneer bricked and doesnt work anymore, looking for another unit with good EQ settings that isn't crazy expensive (i don't need the navigation).

what are you talking about, literally any pioneer, kenwood, jvc, alpine touch screen double din has a 9 to 13 band EQ, some even have active network crossovers. If you are looking at android units, they are all garbage for audio, skip completely. Your old pioneer is from the stone ages, everything new now is lightyears ahead of that era.

I see this all the time. People wanting to hook up stupid cheap 7 band 1/2 din EQs even though they have a headunit with a good built in EQ.

I think its that they like playing with knobs.... and have no clue how to use an EQ properly.

I'm saying that my pioneer bricked and doesnt work anymore, looking for another unit with good EQ settings that isn't crazy expensive (i don't need the navigation).
dude did you even shop?
everything you want and car play no where near the 500 mark.

not sure what kind of junk you are looking at that only offers bass mid and treble but we are waaaay past those kinds of head units in the modern age. I only brought up your head unit because I'm trying to make a point that you are coming from a very ancient time and the new world has many wonders for you to explore. *cue Aladdin whole new world song*

Last edited:
Well I guess I'll look elsewhere since everybody wants to be a giant douche about everything. simply asking for head unit referrals or different wiring setup suggestions. thanks guys!

I want to understand what you’re looking for. Tell me if I’m correct. You are looking for a way to control your subwoofer loudness via a knob while running your head unit off of a single or double din radio?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.