How to achieve 11 or 12 channels of DSP?

Dam_nDirtyApe

Ca
In an ideal world, I'd like to interactively set timing, eq, and x-over for front tweeters, front midranges, front midbass, rear midbass, rear tweeters, + one ( or 2) for the subwoofers.

Currently have a 9 channel DSP (8 primary + 1 for the subwoofer) and tinkering with each attribute of each speaker is a lot of fun and satisfying.

I know of the Helix PRO 10 channel DSP. But even that would force 2 components to be grouped up and use a passive crossover ( which isn't the end of the world or anything, it's just not "ideal")

Does any product like this exist?

And not for nothin... but that's a whole lotta shit going on.

I don't think you need rear tweeters if you're going for "SQ". I also don't think you need (2) channels for the subs.

And not for nothin... but that's a whole lotta shit going on.
I don't think you need rear tweeters if you're going for "SQ". I also don't think you need (2) channels for the subs.

he he.. yea I need a full rear sound-stage for passengers + a picky wife //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I know that technically it messes up the sound stage a bit.. I would just have a couple presets and switch them around (from the remote ) depending on who's in the car. Also, I need to keep the stock head unit for now. Down the road I might be able to swap it, but that's not for a while. Vehicle is a 2011 Infiniti Fx35

Don't need 2 channels for the sub obviously, it just seemed like DSPs often come in even numbers //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I guess with something like the 10 channel Helix, the C pillar tweeters could be shared along a single channel since timing differences between them isn't as critical as the front components, and then the final channel could go to the subs.

From what I can find, it looks like the $1000 Helix is the only 10 channel game in town. Even that's overkill for anything but pro setups, right?

The reason I even brought it up in the first place is that my current integrated DSP/amp is great.. just way underpowered (35w/channel) It's a black box with nowhere to go aside from the subwoofer channel. So since I'm in the market for a DSP.. I figured why not see if my "dream" equipment exists.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that a thing, or are you joking? How would the wiring setup on something like that work?
The closest thing I could find online to what you are describing is this thread over at DIY MiniDSP: An excellent alternative! - Car Audio | DiyMobileAudio.com | Car Stereo Forum which looks a bit complicated. Its a long thread I'll have to wade through, but 2 DSPs does not seem like an easy thing to setup.
Use 2 8 channel DSPs. Take 2 full range output channels from DSP1 into DSP2. DSP1 will handle front tweeters and midrange and sub while DSP2 handle front and rear mid bass and rear tweeter.

Use 2 8 channel DSPs. Take 2 full range output channels from DSP1 into DSP2. DSP1 will handle front tweeters and midrange and sub while DSP2 handle front and rear mid bass and rear tweeter.

I thought of that at first, but it seemed so simple I thought I must be overlooking something. If I'm understanding what you're saying, the second DSP could theoretically be a just a 6 channel unit. And couldn't the front soundstage all be on DSP 1, and the rear sounstage + sub could be through DSP 2, unless there is something I'm overlooking and there is some special reason for the sub to be on DSP 1

Aside from the cost, if a setup like that would work it would certainly give a person total control //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought of that at first, but it seemed so simple I thought I must be overlooking something. If I'm understanding what you're saying, the second DSP could theoretically be a just a 6 channel unit. And couldn't the front soundstage could all be on DSP and the rear + sub could be through DSP 2, unless there is something I'm overlooking and there is some special reason for the sub to be on DSP 1
Aside from the cost, if a setup like that would work it would certainly give a person total control //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I'm just taking into account that only one DSP is getting your signal input. just b/c you have 8 channel of output does not mean you need to utilize them. you can use sub on either DSP but you need to use one full range output from DSP1 into DSP2 if you are using all your signal inputs into DSP1. if you really wanted "total" control than you'd only use 1 set of inputs into an Audiocontrol Matrix than into 2 DSPs. utilizing DSP1 for front and DSP2 for rear. I sure hope you're an expert tuner b/c there is no amount of info on the internet that'll help you tune this.

ya tuning would be a night mare but i like it.... lol

very interesting for sure.

if you do this do a build log and right everything down in it.

how you installed them

how you set them up

ect...

you're going to be spending a lot of time on this lol and money.

i thought i was crazy for wanting an 8 channel dsp.

MiniDSP makes them relatively cheap compared to others.

Well props on your pickiness level being at audiophile snob (I mean that in a good way). Haha honestly I never get past enough of the more fundamental issues like connections, power draws, gains, EQ, Timing, Environment, Air Space, Speaker Placement, Efficiency, ETC to ever make it to the point where I feel OEM active/passive crossovers are my downfall on sound quality. Though I admire the stride for greatness. When you're talking this level of individual audio control for every component of a system I think that is truly magnificent. I hope to one day listen to a Real Good SQ system. I'm about the best I ever get to hear, and I consider my system to be pathetic hahaha.

A truly ideal world we wouldn't be reproducing the sound from instruments via speakers. For now it's the best we have.

Here's another suggestion...

Generally... you want to use as few drivers as you can to achieve the bandwidth you want. See about getting bigger and/or better drivers for your fronts. That will eliminate 2 channels. Something along the lines of 8" midbass and a 3" or 4" wideband like the ScanSpeak 10F or HAT L4.

Then if the rears are just for passengers and you will have a "party in the car" setting... just use a component set for back there. That will eliminate another 2 channels. Bingo bango... you don't need a whole rack of processing. Having (4) channels of processing just for tweeters is a little bananas, imo.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.