How should I wire my sub to get the most power safely?

Participant count
  • Participant list

beccks7

Let me start by saying I don't know very much about the technical terms related to subs and amps so please bear with me..

I have a Boss Riot 1600 watt R8002 amp and a single Lanzar Distinct 1600 watt dual 4 ohm sub.

The RMS for the amp says,

"1600 W MAX Power 2 Channel

600 W X 2 RMS @ 2 ohm

300 W X 2 RMS @ 4 ohm

1200 W X 1 RMS Bridged @ 4 ohm"

The RMS for the sub is " 800 Watt RMS/1600 Watt Peak"

I currently have the sub wired in series giving it an impedance of 8 ohm and it runs to one channel of the amp.

SO MY QUESTION IS.. If I wire the sub in parallel to give it an impedance of 2 ohm, can I safely get more bass and/or power from it without the possibility of blowing my sub or ruining my amp??

Or are there any other options that would be more effective?

Thank you!!

Let me start by saying I don't know very much about the technical terms related to subs and amps so please bear with me..I have a Boss Riot 1600 watt R8002 amp and a single Lanzar Distinct 1600 watt dual 4 ohm sub.

The RMS for the amp says,

"1600 W MAX Power 2 Channel

600 W X 2 RMS @ 2 ohm

300 W X 2 RMS @ 4 ohm

1200 W X 1 RMS Bridged @ 4 ohm"

The RMS for the sub is " 800 Watt RMS/1600 Watt Peak"

I currently have the sub wired in series giving it an impedance of 8 ohm and it runs to one channel of the amp.

SO MY QUESTION IS.. If I wire the sub in parallel to give it an impedance of 2 ohm, can I safely get more bass and/or power from it without the possibility of blowing my sub or ruining my amp??

Or are there any other options that would be more effective?

Thank you!!
The best thing for you to do is to wire each coil to its own channel on the amp, since that amp is not stable bridged in a 2 ohm load dude.

Thank you so much for replying so quickly!

I kind of think I get what your saying, but considering my minimal knowledge, let me ask.. So what I would do is run 1 positive and 1 negative wire from one voice coil to one channel, and then run another set of positive and negative wires from the other voice coil to the second channel? If so will that give me a 4 ohm load?

Thank you so much for replying so quickly! I kind of think I get what your saying, but considering my minimal knowledge, let me ask.. So what I would do is run 1 positive and 1 negative wire from one voice coil to one channel, and then run another set of positive and negative wires from the other voice coil to the second channel? If so will that give me a 4 ohm load?
yeah 4ohm stereo load, just like 2 speakers...but so u know most test of boss amps show they do about 10% rated power.. so best u could hope for is around 200rms out of that amp.. if u ever get up $120 or more come back and we can help u find stronger amp..

Well, I can afford to spend that much. I have just been using what my dad gave to me before he passed away. Except the original sub went out a couple weeks ago and I replaced it with the one listed in my first post.. What amp would you recommend??

Well, I can afford to spend that much. I have just been using what my dad gave to me before he passed away. Except the original sub went out a couple weeks ago and I replaced it with the one listed in my first post.. What amp would you recommend??
Tell us how much you have to spend, and an amp will be recommended within your budget.

Thank you so much for replying so quickly! I kind of think I get what your saying, but considering my minimal knowledge, let me ask.. So what I would do is run 1 positive and 1 negative wire from one voice coil to one channel, and then run another set of positive and negative wires from the other voice coil to the second channel? If so will that give me a 4 ohm load?
You are welcome, and yes.

yeah 4ohm stereo load, just like 2 speakers...but so u know most test of boss amps show they do about 10% rated power.. so best u could hope for is around 200rms out of that amp.. if u ever get up $120 or more come back and we can help u find stronger amp..
Quick questions.. How much power would I get and would it be safe if I wired the sub in parallel going to one channel, not bridged. I'm almost positive that the people that installed the sub I had before this one, (Lanzar Vibe 1600W 800RMS) was wired in parallel going to one channel.

Quick questions.. How much power would I get and would it be safe if I wired the sub in parallel going to one channel, not bridged. I'm almost positive that the people that installed the sub I had before this one, (Lanzar Vibe 1600W 800RMS) was wired in parallel going to one channel.
if u run 1 coil at 2 ohm on 1 channel it'll be a 2 ohm stereo load so u would probably get 1/2 of amps max power (if amp does all it's power @ 2 ohm) it's safe u just be getting 1/2 the signal from the hu (which i guess is what u been doing).. at that said at best u may get more power but probably 80rms or so.. why not just buy a pioneer 3003 for $80 on ebay great sub rated 600rms dual spiders and get a jbl 500 amp $100 (tested over 600rms)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.