how much watts are XXX-18 Soundstream Subwoofer really is at rms ???

that why i asked to find out. because the soundstream sub say 10000 watts and the solo xxx say 5000 rms, 10000max.
You also have to look at enclosure size. The soloX loves HUGE enclosures and you will not fit two in the trunk.

The amp you have is great, but I don't think it is what you need for this project.

You could always get 2 nice 12s or multiple 10's and run that warhorse at 4 ohms. You wont be getting you 10000 watts, but I believe its rated at 5000 at 4 ohms.

I'd think some HDC3s, dc XL 4's (maybe the lvl 5's), or IA DP( maybe wardens) would do you right on that at 4 ohms on that warhorse. I have 2 hdc3 12's on about 4000 watts and they BANG! so If you are careful with the gains and get a nice HO alt, with 2 big batts in back, and a nice batt up front I am sure you could run that warhorse at 4 ohms.

You could always get 2 nice 12s or multiple 10's and run that warhorse at 4 ohms. You wont be getting you 10000 watts, but I believe its rated at 5000 at 4 ohms.
I'd think some HDC3s, dc XL 4's (maybe the lvl 5's), or IA DP( maybe wardens) would do you right on that at 4 ohms on that warhorse. I have 2 hdc3 12's on about 4000 watts and they BANG! so If you are careful with the gains and get a nice HO alt, with 2 big batts in back, and a nice batt up front I am sure you could run that warhorse at 4 ohms.

That is a good option, you can snag a couple AD HDC 12s and 3 dekas(ish) with a good alt and that may work if you wire it up to 4 ohm

that why i asked to find out. because the soundstream sub say 10000 watts and the solo xxx say 5000 rms, 10000max.
You mean solo x. Can I ask why you feel the need for the warhorse? Its a huge monster. Doesn't seem to fit your build plans. That amp is designed for a huge setup. Seems like a slight bit more than what it sounds like you wanna do. You'd ven better off in the 2-3k range with 1 or 2 solid subs and match the amps wattage to the woofers handling.

That is a good option, you can snag a couple AD HDC 12s and 3 dekas(ish) with a good alt and that may work if you wire it up to 4 ohm
But remember the OP didn't want that extra weight, even tho its a necessity. I'm gonna agree with rabbit in this amp doesn't seem to fit your needs in this build. Sure you can run it at 4ohms. But why buy a 10k amp to run it at half power? If I was to use that amp I'd wanna push it like its meant to be. Not saying running it at 4 ohms is a bad idea at all. You will still have to do all the required electrical upgrades needed to power 5k rms.

RMS, in those terms, means an amplifier rated at that power in RMS (root mean squared) but that does not mean they will sustain that power for extended periods of time. Both the SS XXX and Kicker soloX are subs that the manufacturer built *mainly* for SPL. When they rate them at those powers, yes its for amplifiers rated in that power range in RMS, but for short burps in an SPL competition.

'Saturation' is a term referring to heat build-up in a speaker over a prolonged period of time. Daily systems playing music while you cruise through town is a vastly different situation than a 30 second burp in the SPL lanes at a competition. The sub might handle 5kw, or even 10kw, RMS, for a 30 second burp, but may/will fail miserably when trying to sustain that power level (or even less than that for a transient signal like music) over a prolonged time period. For this reason, I feel both the XXX and soloX 'rms power rating' is misleading at best, and a flat-out misrepresentation (lie) by a marketing team at worst.

And like said above, it almost takes building a vehicle around a charging system to realistically sustain 10kw for prolonged periods anyway. A daily driver car is very very hard to accomplish this with. When you get into that power range, you are talking a very heavy box (due to adequate bracing techniques) and complex/heavy install, amazingly large charging system, etc... just to do the equipment justice. This is not the situation you want to be in for a daily driver car. There's a reason serious SPL competitors trailer their vehicles to comps, because the cars are filled with concrete, batteries, and plexiglass. Anything less is really just wasting the potential of the equipment purchased. Again imo you simply bought too much amplifier for your goals.

so If you are careful with the gains and get a nice HO alt, with 2 big batts in back, and a nice batt up front I am sure you could run that warhorse at 4 ohms.
There is no reason why he couldn't run it at 2ohms either... he is just not going to get 10kw out of it unless he has the current to back it up...

OP the SoundStream XXX uses the biggest voice coil I have ever seen in person.. but you don't need 10kw to run it daily.. 2-3kw is plenty for that sub in a daily setup listening to music... If you have the box space for it I wouldn't hesitate...

A HO alt. and an extra batt or two in the rear along with that amp and you should be more then happy....

There is no reason why he couldn't run it at 2ohms either... he is just not going to get 10kw out of it unless he has the current to back it up...

OP the SoundStream XXX uses the biggest voice coil I have ever seen in person.. but you don't need 10kw to run it daily.. 2-3kw is plenty for that sub in a daily setup listening to music... If you have the box space for it I wouldn't hesitate...

A HO alt. and an extra batt or two in the rear along with that amp and you should be more then happy....
I don't agree with that. This amp will take a ton of current regardless of how its installed. He will need a huge electrical to keep up. A cheap alt and a few batteries will only last for so long before the alt/batteries fail and then the amp is next.

And exactly why is that?

I have a 3kw amp on my test bench right now and I can power it all day long from a 10A supply if I wanted too... I'm just not going to get more then about 125 watts out of it...

If I crank the gain the worst thing that will happen is the amp will protect //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Or are you one of those people around this board who dosen't understand ohms law ??!!

And exactly why is that?
I have a 3kw amp on my test bench right now and I can power it all day long from a 10A supply if I wanted too... I'm just not going to get more then about 125 watts out of it...

If I crank the gain the worst thing that will happen is the amp will protect //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Or are you one of those people around this board who dosen't understand ohms law ??!!
I understand current and how users will set their amps. Considering his posts and for the most part knowledge I would think you could put this together yourself.

If you lower the current the amp will produce less power(the warhorse does not go into protect for this). You also make the amp work much harder to produce power thus pulling more current in the end. If you knew half what you though you would be dangerous.

If you lower the current the amp will produce less power. You also make the amp work much harder to produce power thus pulling more current in the end.
So you are saying that if we limit the current the amp will pull more current...

Thanks for the heads up on that one...

pro-rabbit must stand for proffessor rabbit... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

So you are saying that if we limit the current the amp will pull more current...
Thanks for the heads up on that one...

pro-rabbit must stand for proffessor rabbit.. lulz..
What I'm saying is the amp will try and work harder to produce power. You should return to school and stop trolling the net man.

You mean solo x. Can I ask why you feel the need for the warhorse? Its a huge monster. Doesn't seem to fit your build plans. That amp is designed for a huge setup. Seems like a slight bit more than what it sounds like you wanna do. You'd ven better off in the 2-3k range with 1 or 2 solid subs and match the amps wattage to the woofers handling.
ok i had the warhorse for a year. i was saving up to get a hummer, but i test drove the camaro n fell in love with it.,and i got one instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I'm saying is the amp will try and work harder to produce power. You should return to school and stop trolling the net man.
I'm actually working on finishing my second engineering degree right now.... thanks for asking...

Much like 99% of the board (it would seem) you have a general misunderstanding of how Ohm's law relates to voltage and current... before you respond again you might consider that this is the case...

I'm actually working on finishing my second engineering degree right now.... thanks for asking...

Much like 99% of the board (it would seem) you have a general misunderstanding of how Ohm's law relates to voltage and current... before you respond again you might consider that this is the case...

Perhaps you need to look into how the amplifier works prior to talking. I don't care what degree you have. You still don't understand. Please research and try again.

Also, when considering the situation you should look at the application and user. Just because it "can" be done with in a small constraint circumstance this does not mean it should be offered as a proper option for this application.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.