How much better is a 15" at hitting lows compared to a 12"?

B3njamin225

Recently I've decided that I want to increase my systems ability to play very low frequencies. I am already planning on building a larger box for my subwoofer that is tuned lower to meet this goal. But I was wondering how much of a gain I would receive from going from a 12" woofer to a 15" woofer. (Given that it would be running off the same amp and is from the same line of speakers) Any feedback helps, Thanks! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Which amp, which sub? The enclosure is tantamount in the out put of any particular sub. And a well designed 12 in the proper inclosure, you would hard pressed to tell the difference, sight unseen.

The size of the sub has nothing to do with how low it will play, from my understanding. The box and multiple other factors relating to the sub mechanics and amp determine how low it will play. The 15 will be louder because of more cone area, but it won't necessarily play lower than a 12 (comparing everything equally)

Enclosure and install dependant. 90% install, 10% equipment.

You want lows, get the Sundown Audio x12. Start with that. Next find yourself a good box designer. Next, get a good quality amp, unless you got one already.

Enclosure and install dependant. 90% install, 10% equipment.
You want lows, get the Sundown Audio x12. Start with that. Next find yourself a good box designer. Next, get a good quality amp, unless you got one already.
that's an ld saying. the box and sub have about as much of an affect of output as the cabin and cancellation.

that's why when someone wants to build a highend system I tell them plot the cabins response and measure output inside and outside the cabin.. its really that easy..

A 15 won't play lows better than a 12 of the same series sub....

Need to get something intended for low frequency reproduction and/or build an enclosure better suited for your goals

A 15 won't play lows better than a 12 of the same series sub....
Need to get something intended for low frequency reproduction and/or build an enclosure better suited for your goals
It may not play lows better but will play lows louder (the same frequency). Of course enclosure dependant

Try a kicker cvr 15 and a sundown x12....let us know what plays lower.

It is very sub and box dependent. Any sub can play low. Hell, my 3 sa8v2s got down. Good sub suited for low end extension and a good box goes a long way

I went from a DC Level 3 12 to a 15 and I dug lower with more authority when I went to the 15. Both were in custom enclosures tuned to 30hz with a quarter of a cube over recommended.
There are other variables than just size that affect stuff. I'm not saying it didn't dig lower, but it's not just because it's a 15 instead of a 12. If they increased MMS without stiffening up the spider, it would have a lower Fs

Duh, increasing cone area is a way to get louder regardless of the frequency
that's what he's asking. He is asking to compare a 12 and 15 of the same model/company. He's not asking to compare a 12 and a 15 subwoofer in general. Other than cheap *** subs show me a 12 and 15 from same model/company that the 12 played lower and louder. I know my mag 15 plays louder and lower than the 12 mag did

Last edited by a moderator:
that's what he's asking. He is asking to compare a 12 and 15 of the same model/company. He's not asking to compare a 12 and a 15 subwoofer in general. Other than cheap *** subs show me a 12 and 15 from same model/company that the 12 played lower and louder. I know my mag 15 plays louder and lower than the 12 mag did
I'm not saying the 12 of the same series sub would play lower or louder.

I'm saying they will play the same if TS specs aren't drastically different, but the 15 would obviously be louder because of the increase in SD if both were in ideal boxes

Chop suey.. what's the point of this thread?

the 15 in any-line that has no changes except increased mass will have a lower FS and a slightly higher QES which is going to naturally play lower. there are exceptions but not many..

I base my designs on the 15s

the 15s usually add about 50 grams more of mms over the 12 and the 15 are usually about 60 grams lighter than there counter part 18.

that being said if I decided to make a 12 the coil would be about 8-10mm longer..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.