How many watts can my car handle?

Hey guys, I have a 1999 Honda Accord EX 4 cyl 2.3L. I was wondering how to find out how many amps my car's alternator has(or can handle).

I also have a question. Say it had about 80 amps. Does that mean I have 80 amps to run my car audio system on? Or do i have to reserve some for other functions such as lights and stuff leaving me with, in reality, like 60 amps or so. Thanks!

It probably has a 110 my 1998 has a 110. You probably would have 60-70 amps left to play with. Should have a label on it that states the peak output.
i dont think his lights etc will take up that much power. id say he would have about 90 amps to play with but idk maybe less. i know i ran a bb2400.1 @ 1ohm on stock electrical 100a alt and still did pretty well, i stayed about 12.5v at full tilt. i know 12.5 isnt the best but it was still ok

Yes my rf t1500 did well on my 90 amp alt in my explorer as long as i wasn't blasting it. And my Honda is power hungry With the accessories on. It has 2 electric radiator fans, and your probably right it may be more like 90, but 50-60 is realistic for a factory alt.

All of the standard replacement alternators for the '99 2.3L Accord are 80/90 amp output. Like ShaunCox said, assume that you have 60 amps to work with and go from there.

That depends, do you want replace your alternator in 6 months or 2 years or 4 years? The more power you add the more strain your going to put on electrical system. Whatever you decide to do make sure you do the "Big 3" and maybe upgrade your battery(unless you already have a good one).

you could probably only handle 1000rms if that, do the big 3, and deffinately upgrade that puny alternator, save some money and try to find a used one, i paid $220+shipping for my 275A singer

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.