How important is a better head unit

Participant count
  • Participants list

Smurfy76

CarAudio.com Recruit
Florida
So here's my question. I will only be using the head unit for the Bluetooth really. I have a Clarion eqs755 so I'm not worried about tuning the radio itself. And all my components and subs are wired directly to the amps. So for now it is fine but future would it be worthwhile to change the head unit out to a better one. It is only a cheapo Walmart radio right now. Just curious on how big of a difference it would make. In a way it makes it look like it has a cheap system in the car unless you actually hear the stereo on.

The first question I would ask is, "Are you satisfied with the current sound?"If yes, don't do anything now. Make a plan, in case you need to replace it in the future. If no, then look around to see what head units meet your current and future needs. I like to use crutchfield.com to see what is current, and check out the features of the various components. Also, the members here will offer you suggestions.

I will only be using the head unit for the Bluetooth really.
I used one of these for a bit in a car I sold and the only thing I didn't care for was that it didn't have a remote, otherwise super convenient if you don't use CDs and just want to use it to amp whatever from your phone.

Otherwise the issue I have always had when I've auditioned gutter brand head units is mostly just janky controls and poor functionality. Another issue you may find with entry level head units is that they may be noisy if you hook up some more powerful amps. Some background noise from a 2V pre out head unit would be unnoticeable at 50w per channel amp but if you hook it up to 150 per channel you may notice it. It has been several years since I've personally experienced this so it is possible that even bottom rung stuff is immune from this by now.

I used one of these for a bit in a car I sold and the only thing I didn't care for was that it didn't have a remote, otherwise super convenient if you don't use CDs and just want to use it to amp whatever from your phone.

Otherwise the issue I have always had when I've auditioned gutter brand head units is mostly just janky controls and poor functionality. Another issue you may find with entry level head units is that they may be noisy if you hook up some more powerful amps. Some background noise from a 2V pre out head unit would be unnoticeable at 50w per channel amp but if you hook it up to 150 per channel you may notice it. It has been several years since I've personally experienced this so it is possible that even bottom rung stuff is immune from this by now.
I'm not sure of the radios pre out but the Clarion EQ has a 8v. The CD thing I never use because frankly I don't own any CDs. I would of loved to get a half din but they don't make alot of half din radios. And the ones I have found were pricey so I never went that route. It's funny because it does have a remote but I never really use it.

Mines also has a remote. LOL, but I've never used it. All the controls are within arms reach, so I don't have a need for it. Maybe, if I was in the back seat with my girlfriend and I wanted to change the mood music - then I could see the benefit.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.