Do I need DSP?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Zameer

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have Pioneer AVH 5150BT with Vice Avk6 components and Zapck amp. I have features like time alignment, crossover and 13 band equalizer in my headunit. System is running two way active. Do I still need DSP for some extra features or Headunit is OK?

i use both my HU and dsp....i use dsp to eq/frequency match each speaker individually and then use HU eq to frequency match all driver side speakers and then all passenger speakers together....i like to be able to tweak my tune on the fly without having to hook dsp up to laptop

I am running two way active components on 5.1zapco ST XII amp. Can I add mid range with same amp semi active or active and what will be effect on sound quality? Don’t wanna install/add new amp right now

i wouldnt.....you need control over each speaker individually to get it sounding right....crossovers, eq, delay etc. etc. its what brings it all together otherwise you have too much overlapping frequencies causing all sorts of problems, i could go on and on.....you basically need one amp channel per speaker and the ability to eq, time align and set crossovers per speaker

Last edited:
i would start with sub at 80...120 is to high imo..... midbass to sub is the hardest to get right from my experience....takes time and experimenting with different crossovers points

I have Pioneer AVH 5150BT with Vice Avk6 components and Zapck amp. I have features like time alignment, crossover and 13 band equalizer in my headunit. System is running two way active. Do I still need DSP for some extra features or Headunit is OK?
it literally depends on how much time you want to waste on this hobby tinkering with settings perfecting things more than anything. Head unit will be a few hours to days of fun. DSP will be a few months to a few years of fun.

with a 2 way setup, you can get 80-90% of the way there with the basic active networks and 13 band EQ and time alignment from the head unit along with phase control, speaker positioning and acoustical treatments. The DSP fine tuning is just the cherry on top if you are an extreme snob and picky about every little detail in the sound but comparing the two, there's diminishing returns based on time and money spent especially if you are not utilizing a 3 way front stage. Most normal people to regular enthusiasts the 2 way with the head unit is fine. Once you get into the upper echelon of snobbishness, then yes move on to the dsp.

What do you suggest; Adding mid range components running with crossover for midrange and tweeters and woofer running active.

with a 2 way setup, you can get 80-90% of the way there with the basic active networks and 13 band EQ and time alignment from the head unit along with phase control, speaker positioning and acoustical treatments. The DSP fine tuning is just the cherry on top if you are an extreme snob and picky about every little detail in the sound but comparing the two, there's diminishing returns based on time and money spent especially if you are not utilizing a 3 way front stage. Most normal people to regular enthusiasts the 2 way with the head unit is fine. Once you get into the upper echelon of snobbishness, then yes move on to the dsp.

What do you suggest; Adding mid range components running with crossover for midrange and tweeters and woofer running active.
no, you take the passive crossover out completely and need at least 6 channels of amplification. You will be running the whole thing active 3 way. What you'd do is get the voce 3 inch midrange for midrange duties have it fiberglassed on your A pillars next to your tweeters, figure out the best angle before doing all this as in you need things hooked up so you can hear them play, use tape or whatever means to get the mids and tweeters to stay in place so you can listen for the best initial sound quality and sound stage before you commit to the fiber glass A pillars then you tune after its all done. The sound will be broken to midbass, midrange and tweeter all crossed over and time aligned on the dsp. Then you'll want to have an RTA and EQ each left and right mid/midbass individually to create a perfect overall response and sound stage This part will take up the majority of your time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.