How good is my battery?

d668c5853c2ffc414830457.png

Did you have to wire the voltmeter in, or did it just plug in or something?
"I got a cigarette lighter volt meter and without the big 3 it's between 14.1 and 14.4 and they are usually a couple below the actual number I heard."

Just plug it into the cig lighter.

Did you have to wire the voltmeter in, or did it just plug in or something?
those you just plug into your cigarette lighter. no hard wiring

and i hear those are off a little but not much. the battery is supposed to be in the high 13's with the car off.

My impala will climb up to about 14.9 without the subs hitting but will sit at 14.1 with subs hitting at a good volume. A good deep cycle battery will help alot with reliability.

14.4 is the standard output from the alternator for most cars on the road today. 13.8 is still pretty common also but 14.4 is the most common. Whether it’s a 14.4 or 13.8 alternator it has nothing much to do with how good your battery is. If you were to unhook the battery and check your cig lighter with the engine running of course it would still read 14.4.

Each cell in your battery produces 2.1 volts for a total of 12.6 when fully charged and resting. If your battery reads 12.6 or above that’s good but still does not tell you how good because there could be problems with internal resistance. As batteries age they start having more internal resistance and there are some simple test that you can do to tell how good your battery really is. If you ever want to test a battery to see how good it is then you need to Google battery resistance testing and do the work to find out for your self. Auto parts stores have testers that can do this test for you but I like to test my own to be sure.

"I got a cigarette lighter volt meter and without the big 3 it's between 14.1 and 14.4 and they are usually a couple below the actual number I heard."
Just plug it into the cig lighter.
Where'd you get it at? I need one of them, lol. And 14.4 sounds like your battery is still good, when it begins dropping to mid-13's you should start watching it more

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.