How do you hook up 2 multi-channel amps? Split the RCAs with a Y splitter?

Participant count
  • Participant list
So I have a multi channel amp/system.

5 Channel Amp

Channels 1-2 (3 1/2" front corner dash locations)

Channels 3-4 (6 1/2" and 1" tweeter in door locations)

Channels 5 (sub only)

4 Channel Amp

Channels 6-7 (6 1/2" rear locations)

Channel 8 (3 1/2" mid only center channel location)

Channel 9 (tweeter center channel location)

Iam running a 5 channel amp and a 4 channel amp.

My head unit is a Pioneer AVH-5200BT with 3 sets of 4V RCA's (front, rear, and sub)

How would you get signal to the 4 channel amp? My 5 Channel does not have pre-amp RCA outputs on it. Iam in the middle of rewiring it and want to get the best cleanest possible signal to both amps.

Do I split the 2 sets of RCA's with Y splitters coming out of the head unit? If yes is it better to split the RCA's up close to the head unit or back at the amp?

If splitting the RCA's is not recommended....would it be better to tap into the head units hi level speaker lead to an amp instead?

LOC converter on the high level speaker lead? OR is it not a good idea to be using the pre-amp RCA section and the hi level speaker section of the head unit at the same time?

Thanks for the help

Jeff

Split the RCA's at the amps.

And, IMO amping 3.5's is a waste of amp channels. If your HU has speaker outputs there are ways to do what you want with just the 5 channel amp.

thanks Dave. HU does have speaker outputs. What did you have in mind? I agree seems like a waste to amp them but at the same time I want to have the capability to match all the speakers as far as loudness goes. I don't want the 3 1/2"s and the center channel to overpower the rest of the system.

This is just a suggestion... something to think about...

Amp channels 1-2 front main speakers

Channels 3-4 rear speakers

Channel 5 sub.

3.5's off the front HU speaker outputs. Your main stage should easily overpower them. You'll need 150-300 Hz bass blockers to keep them from blowing up.

Front center channel off the rear HU speaker outputs. You can cross-connect between left and right (example left + to right -) and get a mono output at normal HU power level.

If you find the need to turn down the 3.5's you can do that with either adjustable L-Pads or fixed series resistors. Either option will take less space and cost less than an amp.

A couple of quick questions. Are the 3.5's just a coax speaker or are they a true set of mids? If they are true mids, I would keep them powered by the amp not your deck. Since you are running a center, do you have any type of processing? If you are running a processor, some of the splitting your are doing wouldnt be needed, but it sounds like you are going deck straight to amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.