How do you guys decide what to buy if you've never heard it?

scottyk
10+ year member

lil' nig
NY
Biggest issue that has been bugging me as of late is I am making all of my car audio purchases based almost entirely on reviews and recommendations on here. Around where I live, most shops consider Kicker or RE the shiz; and while I'm not particularly against either of those brands, its annoying to not be able to hear anything around here to get my own personal opinion on what I want. I've only been seriously into car audio for about a year and a half now and have only heard a small handful of what I would consider a SQ set-up (even then, I wasn't thoroughly impressed...hell I'm not even sure I ever have even heard a SQ system).

Because most of my musical tastes are more focused on modern metal and heavier music rather then rap and such (though I do enjoy a good amount of bass every now and then) I partly am thinking I should try a sealed set-up, but because I honestly don't know how a good one sounds, I don't know if I want to go sealed and then not be as happy with the results and also lose output because the box obviously isn't ported anymore. I'm sure lots of people must have this issue, any suggestions for honestly just being able to find ways to hear a set-up so they can decide if they want to go that route or not?

I've thought of this many times too. I usually go to a few shows/comps and listen to different stuff, and base my decisions off that
That's what I've been told. My one buddy who got me into car audio about 2 and a half years ago has always been what I've compared my likes too. Though I've outgrown him as far as knowledge and equipment goes (his biggest system was an MA 18) so now I'm on my own as far as knowing what to buy since I no longer have him to compare too.

i just buy stuff that looks appealing and gets good reviews. I don't really like demos because all vehicles are different and most sounds horrible in my civic. But I change up like every month so.....

hmm, Everything in my sig was purchased from me reading reviews. I never heard a single piece until i received it, hell i havent even heard it all yet
^^^THIS.... this is usually how it goes, while the shop generally sell stuff that's good in it's own right the brands that are sold and discussed around the forums are usually just as good for less or better for the same price... I even bought my Hifonics gear online without EVER having seen or heard any of it in person and have been very happy with my purchases for the most part... Hell I've not even gotten to listen to my Fi Q's yet!!!!

Best recommendation I can make is listen up on the forums, you can generally tell who's comments can be trusted and who's can't.... but the best way to find out is to buy it and try it.... If you don't like it you can sell it to your friends and try something different....

what r u looking to accomplish in your system do u want sq or spl. if based on ur music selection then u would be correct about a sealed box vs ported. yes u lose the loudness but u get tighter more accurate bass. so that should tell u that u need to look at subs that will work for sealed enclosures. hope that helps

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.