How do I properly charge an Optima Red Top?

Optima batteries always seemed good to me....
Charging you should be fine with 12 amps just make sure you don't over current the battery. I wouldn't listen to the guy who says let it "sizzle" that sounds like it would get too had. Plus, Yellow top for second battery not red top.
how would I know if I was over currenting it?

you said it's in a CRX, tho
i've owned 6 early 90's/late 80's vw's, and they all had fairly severe battery drain......

this was the transition period between mechanical fuel management, and the introduction of more electronics-driven cars, so bad wiring/electrical drain is just a fact of life for late 80's/early 90's cars

if it isn't a daily driver, make sure you disconnect the battery when you let it sit, or get a 'battery tender' trickle charger and leave it on your battery at all times.
Wow, I am pretty glad to hear this. You think i would have learned by now because this car has been eating batteries since I bought the thing.

So glad you posted. I'll have the alternator tested, this is the second one that's been in the car.

ya, unless you want to spend thousands replacing/making custom wiring harnesses for the car, you'll probably just have to live with a few drains here and there.

it's probably just a combination of corroding grounds and aging, inefficient electronic devices.

that's the price you gotta pay for a 2,000 lbs. car..........

they don't make 'em like they used to

ya, unless you want to spend thousands replacing/making custom wiring harnesses for the car, you'll probably just have to live with a few drains here and there.
it's probably just a combination of corroding grounds and aging, inefficient electronic devices.

that's the price you gotta pay for a 2,000 lbs. car..........

they don't make 'em like they used to
I'm actually trying to sell the car and didn't want do leave the new buyer with a dud. At least I'll have some sort of logical explanation to give them now.

I'm gonna go buy the charger/alternator tester right now. I guess I'll do the trickle charge over night and if I get adventurous I'll use the 12 amp. Thing is still under warranty anyways.

Thanks again.

how would I know if I was over currenting it?
Well if it becomes too hot... If it gets too hot take it off the charger or lower the current. It might get warm but I wouldn't exceed that temp limit that you got on that "spec" page. 12 Amps shouldn't be too much honestly....

I'm going to take it to Sears and have them rapid charge it
Might as well have them do it and save myself $80 for now
It is not good to rapid charge an Optima battery, or any battery for that matter. You need to have it trickle charged overnight if it was drained low. Take it to Autozone or somewhere like that and they will do it for free, just leave the battery there overnight. If a battery gets drained low, it will die much sooner than expected if you just keep rapid charging it w/ a rapid charger or alternator.

It is not good to rapid charge an Optima battery, or any battery for that matter. You need to have it trickle charged overnight if it was drained low. Take it to Autozone or somewhere like that and they will do it for free, just leave the battery there overnight. If a battery gets drained low, it will die much sooner than expected if you just keep rapid charging it w/ a rapid charger or alternator.
Thanks for the advice. I already dropped the battery off but I guess I could call and tell them not to charge it.

I really don't plan to have to have it recharged again. I plan to disconnect it the next time my car is sitting around.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.