How do I properly charge an Optima Red Top?

CRXican
10+ year member

omghi2u
This is my second Optima, the first was a yellow top. To be honest, I hate them. The yellow top didn't last for **** and now my red top sits for a few days and is dead.

I can take the battery to the place I bought it from but I don't trust what the guy there told me. He said it needs 50 to 60 Amps or about 10 minutes until the battery "sizzles." Then it sits on the charger at some other amperage I don't remember for the rest of the day.

I had them try and charge the yellow top when it died and not surprisingly they couldn't "revive" it.

What is the proper charging method for an Optima Red Top and which charger do I need?

TIA

Managed to find the info somewhere else:

For a Optima 34 Red Top

Suggested Charging Rates:

Alternator: 13.8 to 15.0 volts

Battery Charger

(Constant Voltage): 13.8 to 15.0 volts, 10 amps maximum,

Float charge: 13.2 to 13.8 volts, 1 amp maximum current

Rapid Recharge: (Constant Voltage Charger)

Maximum voltage 15.6

No current limit as long as temperature remains below 125°F

Charge until current drops below 1 amp

Recharge time (examples assuming 100% discharge - 10.5 volts)

Approx. time to 90% charge

100 amps - 35 minutes

50 amps - 75 minutes

25 amps - 140 minutes

Recharge time will vary according to temperature and charger characteristics. When using Constant Voltage chargers, amperage will taper down as the battery becomes recharged. When amperage drops below 1 amp, the battery will be close to a full state of charge.

I'm looking at these two chargers. The Optima specs listed above list the max amps for a constant charge at 10 amps. The first charger fits that requirement but the second one has 12 amps. I like the option #2 because it's not much more expensive and I can test my alternator which I need to do. As for rapid charging, I could use the second charger as well but how in the world would I know the temp of my battery? Per Optima, it needs to stay under 125F.

Option #1

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Batteries+%26+Chargers&pid=02871222000&vertical=AUTO&subcat=Battery+Chargers+%26+Boosters&BV_SessionID=@@@@0036206963.1162846689@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceaddjfiddkhlcefecemldffidfmg.0

Option #2

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Batteries+%26+Chargers&pid=02871225000&vertical=AUTO&subcat=Battery+Chargers+%26+Boosters&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

optimas are easy to **** up
i wouldn't charge it with more amps than it says

i've ruined a few myself
gah, not what I wanted to hear

if my battery wasn't in the hatch of my CRX I'd never even look at an Optima again

:edit:

I'm not sure where that info I posted came from but it seem contradictory. You can use unlimited amps as long as the temp doesn't excede 125F for a rapid charge but if it's a normal, constant charge it says not to exceed 10 amps.

annoying

I use a charger like the first one and trickle charge over night. but why is your redtop dying out to begin with what are you using it for? redtops are starter batteries not deep cycle.

If you had a yellow top that was dead after a couple days of no use, then you had a bad battery...
Before I got my Yellows installed, they were sitting for MONTHS, and still had a ~12.4v charge.
I have one sitting in my office right now reading 12.58 no problems

Yeah, I guess that's the problem with mass production batteries. A small percentage ****.

I've never had a problem with ANY of the dozen or so Optimas I've had.

nG

I only have the red top and it is used as a starting battery. I have a single 2 channel amp in the car as well. I actually swapped out a JL 300/2 for an old Crossfire amp. I did notice that when I turned off the car, it took a while for the power light on the amp to fade off. The car sat for about a week with no use and the battery died.

I might have a drain but I'm not sure at this point. I just needed to know what charger to get because I wanted to try and revive this thing myself.

I don't have time to go to Autozone and leave my battery there. I guess I can get the second charger I linked to and trickle charge it and then use the alternator tester part when the battery is back in the car.

Optima batteries always seemed good to me....

Charging you should be fine with 12 amps just make sure you don't over current the battery. I wouldn't listen to the guy who says let it "sizzle" that sounds like it would get too had. Plus, Yellow top for second battery not red top.

you said it's in a CRX, tho

i've owned 6 early 90's/late 80's vw's, and they all had fairly severe battery drain......

this was the transition period between mechanical fuel management, and the introduction of more electronics-driven cars, so bad wiring/electrical drain is just a fact of life for late 80's/early 90's cars

if it isn't a daily driver, make sure you disconnect the battery when you let it sit, or get a 'battery tender' trickle charger and leave it on your battery at all times. there's also the possibility that the alternator's on it's way out.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.