How did i blow my 12inch Kicker Solo X?

you wear pink fingernail polish?
lol, seen that, crappy paint job at that.... OP you clipped it and let the coil get too hot, wasn't the best woofer neither, not a bad one either but definitely clipped and not the most efficent amp either which doesn't help.....

Ok i forgot to say it's wired at 1ohm and i thought that the gain ment how many watts i was putting to it? So i figured it's putting 12-1500 MAX watts to my sub which isn't even close to the 2500w RMS it can take.. and what on the amp is the power level knob if not the level/gain?I also am probably gonna upgrade my amp after the BIG 3 with a kicker 2000w amp. But this gets the job done for now.

Exept with that inefficient amp, impedance/box rise and those low voltages you are not getting anywhere near 1200-1500 rms, and your forcing the amp to go into overdrive desperately trying make the power that it clearly cannot do. Which in turn makes the signal become hella clipped. You think its louder only because of distortion making it seem louder on your ears.

Ok i forgot to say it's wired at 1ohm and i thought that the gain ment how many watts i was putting to it? So i figured it's putting 12-1500 MAX watts to my sub which isn't even close to the 2500w RMS it can take.. and what on the amp is the power level knob if not the level/gain?I also am probably gonna upgrade my amp after the BIG 3 with a kicker 2000w amp. But this gets the job done for now.
The gain knob is only used to match the output voltage of the h/u to the input of the amp.

The gain knob is only used to match the output voltage of the h/u to the input of the amp.
How do i check this on my HU? I have my subwoofer setting on 12inch and my sub level @ -7 at all times.

How do i check this on my HU? I have my subwoofer setting on 12inch and my sub level @ -7 at all times.
use a dmm, play a 50hz sine wave, plug the dmm's probes into the amp, turn up the gain until you reach the required voltage. voltage = the square root of watts*ohms.

Or after everything is hooked back up, take it somewhere stereo shop wise and pay to have the gain set. Kicker subs, obviously, do not handle abuse. They can handle clean power but only set properly and conservatively.

5k really? Curious as to how hot that bish gets at 5k
They get smelly on about 3K in under a minute. I'd wager 5K would kill one very quickly.

I doubt it could handle more than 4k for over 30 seconds
Very likely that's about the limit

Hmm I guess they made the solo x 18 different.. Mine has a 3.5" coil rated at 5000 rms.
3" coil on the 12" and I assure you 5KW power rating on the 18" solo X is a big stretch of the truth. 5000W playing Rolling Stones CD perhaps, playing "music" that's basically a clipped sine wave with some 80 IQ thug grunting about committing crime and his ***** isn't going to go so well for you.

You need to lay off the crack fuc boy you dont know half as much about car audio as you pretend so just go ***** smack yoself.
Alrighty there, take a deep breath, unbunch your grunders, and calm down. hispls isn't wrong here, kicker subs are not close to the price you gotta pay for them. That woofer will not handle 5k RMS, I dare you to find a kicker woofer that will for more than a minute.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.