How close do boxes usually need to be to the recommended box size?

ckunke002
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I have a 12 inch sub that "recommends" a 1 cubic foot sealed box. My local store sold me a .9 cubic foot box for a good price, and told me that it would work just fine for my sub's specs. Will using polyfill help make up for lost space a little bit?

Compared to a 1.1 cubic foot box for example, what are the differences of going bigger or smaller than what is recommended sound-wise?

That enclosure will work just fine but if it's like most of the pre-fabs I have encountered you probably need to buy a small tube of latex caulk and seal the seams inside again....I have seen a lot of them that leaked horribly......

you can go to Walmart and buy some pillow stuffing. Put some in filling the box lightly. Don't pack the whole bag in! And see if you hear a difference. It can make the box act like a bigger box. It is not a huge difference, maybe 10-20%

Kind of like fine tuning.

your not gonna tell a difference with being .1 cubs off. if they truely did give you a good price then thats cool. like what was already said just run some caulk in it
Great, and it seemed like a good price anyways. 40 bucks for it, normally 60

Why run sealed? It's too easy.
Because it sounds great!

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

that is pretty cheap. thats about how much it makes to build your own, maybe even a little less.
I wanted to try to make my own but it seemed a bit intimidating, is it a big task or not so much?

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

reccomendations and needs are not the same...but you should be ok in sealed with polyfill
i liked your old video sig better...

There are enclosures that sound great that aren't sealed. They just take more work. Going sealed is basically throwing a woofer in the easiest to design and build enclosure. I mean out of all the enclosures, sealed for subs is at the bottom of the totem pole.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.