How Bad Is this Amp Blown? (Blown Saz 3000 W/Pics)

Ya lost me or am I misreading it
You're saying that chris at DB-R is the second comming of jesus or something. He's not. He'll tell you that. People in Louisville should feel lucky they have Autosound as a local place to get amps repaired since they don't have to ship and pray it comes back.

Chris at DB-r is a great resouce for repairing amps....no doubt...but if you can get it done locally, then...get it done!

Oh no I just prefer a amp completely rebuilt and 1 year warranty on the amp autosound can and will repair it for same cost but will not give more than 30day warranty I believe 90day would be the most but they are up front about that.

the 1 yr warranty is on the refurbised product they sell . if you send an amp in for repair they cover it 30 days iirc

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_0026.JPG

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0028.JPG

IMG_0029.JPG

OP, I feel your pain. That's what my PAB 1200.1d that I picked up looked like. I contacted the seller and he's going to exchange it for a Rockford 4-channel. Not a very linear trade, but at least it opens up additional possibilities down the road. I didn't even try to power this sucker on, didn't want to make things worse.

OP, I feel your pain. That's what my PAB 1200.1d that I picked up looked like. I contacted the seller and he's going to exchange it for a Rockford 4-channel. Not a very linear trade, but at least it opens up additional possibilities down the road. I didn't even try to power this sucker on, didn't want to make things worse.

Dang man, sorry to see yours in bad shape too

Dang man, sorry to see yours in bad shape too
I look at it this way: at least the seller is willing to do an exchange and for an item worth more without asking for any extra money. I just have to make some extra time to pick it up next week. Hope you get yours well taken care of and I'm sure db-r will hook you up pretty well.

I look at it this way: at least the seller is willing to do an exchange and for an item worth more without asking for any extra money. I just have to make some extra time to pick it up next week. Hope you get yours well taken care of and I'm sure db-r will hook you up pretty well.
yea but i gotta pay for mine and i aint mess it up

It's a very repairable unit -- the board isn't damaged; just has some black on it as MOSFETs tend to shoot out a bit of flame when they go out. Most of the black will wipe off the board with a dab of cleaner.

Some shops will replace that one chip and call it a day if it works. Others will replace them ALL to make sure no other parts have minor damage as yet to be detected; this is the main reason for vast price differences.

It's a very repairable unit -- the board isn't damaged; just has some black on it as MOSFETs tend to shoot out a bit of flame when they go out. Most of the black will wipe off the board with a dab of cleaner.
Some shops will replace that one chip and call it a day if it works. Others will replace them ALL to make sure no other parts have minor damage as yet to be detected; this is the main reason for vast price differences.
hence sending it to dbr for the win

The black goop is probably all factory silicone to keep the transformers and filters from getting vibration damage.

Caps is definitely blown, though. There were a higher than normal # of bad caps out there over the last year or so as well -- even from suppliers that had made great quality parts for years beforehand.

again, on the repair not being that bad. a local guy might just replace the one, or few bad fets, and might not even replace the resistors. sending it to a known good guy means that you should have all new power fets, matched, with new resistors. they will also make sure the drive circuits are good. actually, the good thing about it, is that it was a reverse connection, and the output section should need no work at all, aside from the cleaning and new compound while the board is out. i would say 50-75 in parts and a few hours work, at the most.

Good luck with the repair. No repair shops in my area and I think I checked DB-R and the didn't fix JBL amps. I just happened to meet up with Robert Rayfield of Linear Power/Blues Audio while he was in Oklahoma getting parts made for his new amps. I know he'll do me right, he quoted me $80-$120. The hardest part is I just installed a new system (except amp) when it went bad and it will be the first week in December before I get it back. No tunes makes every trip soooo long and I have to actually listen to my wife, headphones on my blackberry just don't do it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.