Houston we have a problem....

Participant count
  • Participant list

Pyrofan

CarAudio.com Elite
Ga
Ok, so Im wiring up all the components for this project im doing and begin to test the speakers and tweeters. I tested the speakers first and set the gain as loud I could (it was late) and without distortion. Used a 100 Hz tone. Checked the voltage with a DMM and it was only 12v....thats 4 watts each speaker (4). So I went on to tweeters....got nothing. Checked the resistance on wire and got 0. So pulled out a tweeter and tested the terminals and got 4 ohms ( they are 4 ohm tweets) but, when I test the attached wire which has a cap on it, I get 0. Why would the cap be blocking resistance? Are they blown caps?

I did some research to no avail. I will set the gain higher on the 6.5's tomorrow but right now, these tweeters got me baffled.

Thanks for the help!

You might want to have someone do this for you to be honest.
Why? Im trying to learn what to do. I know what HPF and LPF and Full mean just not sure it the switch is turning them off or on. Thats not the main problem though. The tweeters are what im worried about.

full = fullrange play everythinghigh pass = cut off frequencies underneath that point.

low pass = cut off frequencies over that point
Ok thats what I thought it did. So now thats solved, why no resistance on the tweeter?

DMM uses a small amount of DC current to measure the resistance between its leads. A cap blocks DC. You can't measure resistance through a series capacitor. Take the night off and re-read everything at this site.

Basic Car Audio Electronics
HAHA thanks. Just read though some of that site.....WOW its like a holy grail. Ill just try to try the tweeters again tomorrow.

EDIT: also, what tone should I do for the tweeters? I read pink noise or 2500 hz but dont want me ears to bleed while setting the gains and, do I need to mess with the LPF and HPF since the tweeters have a cap on them? I think I dont need to but rather ask then break something.

HAHA thanks. Just read though some of that site.....WOW its like a holy grail. Ill just try to try the tweeters again tomorrow.
EDIT: also, what tone should I do for the tweeters? I read pink noise or 2500 hz but dont want me ears to bleed while setting the gains and, do I need to mess with the LPF and HPF since the tweeters have a cap on them? I think I dont need to but rather ask then break something.
Buy a crossover and be done with it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif.

Buy a crossover and be done with it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif.
Cant cause that goes over the person's budget who is getting this.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.