Horizon Audio - Canton, OH

mtlhead
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
I personally won't go here anymore. They are extremely overpriced, cocky, and have ignorant staff. I went in their to get a backstrap for my zx2, they said they couldnt do it properly, and just put something to weigh it down that was incredibly easy to take off. Turns out that they were too lazy to take off the trim panels and just attached a metal weight on the back of the radio...45 bucks for that...

Then i noticed my amp was cutting on and off (sound wise) and decided to look at my rca's after looking at everything else....well I couldn't because while installing the "backstrap" they broke my f'ing clip inside my aftermarket dash kit, so I had them take it back out and give me a new one, but while doing this they f'ed up my dash (since they had to pry it out) and now i have two dents in my dash because of that.

Next, the ignorant staff. I took an amp in to get "bench tested," basically to them this means it turns on. Well they said my amp wasn't working, protect light came on instantly. So I had them show me. Well no **** it won't come on, they tried to turn it on with 8 awg instead of 0/1. f'ing morons.

They also had no idea what the Big 3 was...and when i showed them they said it was pointless...

their definition of a "good" woofer is a W3...

the only "good" subs they have are kicker, jl, and diamond....but if you want them, you better be prepared to pay about 1k+ for a system

their box builder is an asshat, said the only way he would do a box build inside my trunk is if i paid up front, and it would take a week to do, and needed my car EVERY day, would cost roughly 400 bucks for a 3.5 cu ft @ 32Hz net was like 6.5

the only good work they actually do is on THEIR cars, or exotic cars...even then they don't do that great of a job

they also laughed at me when i said i had RE, they said i shoulda got a JL...then i shook their windows with the SX....they told me to leave...i dont get it?

their selection is horrible, they pretty much have pioneer, alpine, kenwood, and jvc for headunits

they have kicker, jl, kenwood, diamond, and memphis for subs and amps as well

the main highlight is that they have focal...but you have to special order them, and it takes about a month to two months to fill it.

Now onto their overpricing....

A brand new kicker ZX300.1 costs about 300 bucks there

A brand new kenwood KAX-811D costs about 350.

A brand new 10" CVR costs about 200

But then they try and get people to buy their shitty stuff by offering "buy one get on free" on subs that msrp like for 50 bucks, but sell them for like 100

Wiring is ridiculous...they charge for 4awg, about the same knu does for 0/1

the list goes on...but i wouldnt go there, DIY FTW

edit: also with the ignorant staff, when i was having problems starting my car, i went and asked if they had any idea what was wrong, and they told me to buy a cap...how on earth is a cap gonna help me start my car? so i told them no, but give me a quote on an alternator....500 bucks for a 180A!!! I ended up buying a 150A for 150 bucks INSTALLED

and apparently theyll kick you out of the store if you mention american bass? i guess bob doesn't like the owner...mainly because of the above reasons, and won't sell to him

Also: my dad had two 7" screens put in his old van, well it turns out that they didn't know how to ground them properly so we would always get the discoloration and lines on the screen....

x2

Plus, I have some stories of my own.

I go there just asking about a new alternator. They say that a new one isn't an option, and I have to pay $700 to have mine rewound, and then get a batter, cap, and all this stiff. See something wrong here?

Then, I didn't see any but thought I'd double check, and ased if the carried Digital Designs. He said "No. I havn't heard anythign about them, and when I have, it's all bad. I'd just go with some JL's" and then they had some guy taht had his whole system done for him there show me his system.

It sounded nice, but he dumped a few thousand in it, when the same could be done EASILY for half the cost.

Very over priced, So is Century 2000. Discount Car Stereo is nice but their stuff is cheap and their knowledge is limited.

I went to Horizon Audio back in March or April for the sole purpose of seeing a RE in action. Well they dont sell it even though they were on the RE site as being an authorized dealer. Didnt really have much to say to the ppl in the store. Yes they do seem overpriced and the selection is limited.

I recently bought my RE SE's there for $350 to my door. The only reason they don't have the RE's there, is because they carry US Amps, and they didn't know about the RE line (although they can obvisusly order it).

I've been going there for a bit over a year, and I know Jeff,Doug (the owner) and Mook, at the Alliance store pretty well. I have to agree that they're severely overpriced, and not much selection (at the Alliance store anyway), but they're good people, just biased a little bit too much.

horixon audio *****....

at centurey 2000 you can haggle those guys!!! plus my good buddy has been working up there for like 3 years now. Doug Conway is his name... ask for him and tell him seth phillips sent ya. he will hoo you up

i used to work at century 2000 just after i graduated hs back in 94. always been good to me. i havent been there in years, but im sure if you buy a bit and once they get to know ya a little they will treat ya good. i consider them the best to deal with in the akron canton area. i dont live close enough to go there to buy stuff so i go to cartronics in youngstown now. good people. i will go to a place that has good people working there even if they dont have the selection that the others might have. speaking about a rediculous price tor a sub box, look at best buy. over $100 for a dual sealed enclosure.

There's only one or 2 people from the Canton horizon that i deal with. They are horrible. I know i personally wanna beat one or two of those salesman's ass. They treated me like I was ignorant when I truly know more than they do. the only good thing about Horizon is the lay-away.

Call the Canton store... ask for Scott Ackerman(owner)... Tell him his son(justin)(been busted for dealing... many times) just sold you a bag of oregano instead of weed and you would like to know if you can get a refund...

After letting a few guys at horizon listen to my system, they told me I would've been better off going with JL for what I have in mine, although it wouldn't be as loud, because it would last longer than the RE's....

I did buy a set of undercar neon's there though (streetglow's) for $80, so I can't complain.

Edit:

They also said my Hifonics amp is only putting out about 400watts and that I should go with one of their Memphis's that was $700.

Funny Thread I am from Canton, OH now in AZ. My cousin actually worked there for a few months... Confirmed everything you guys are saying LOL

Funny, I had a system installed in my VOLVO (hahahah) in high school way back in like 91 or so... They used to put the amps up on the walls with pricing next to them,,, Pretty neat I thought. I went with Coustic amps from that place back in the day. Or was it Boss? I forget...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...