hopefully someone has an easy fix for me

campbell8402
10+ year member

i am running 4 speakers and a sub off one 4 channel amp. the speakers are where im having my issue.....

my amp specs say 160x4 at 20hms

so i took a set of 4 ohm 6x9s i had in boxes and put them in my hatch and have a set of 6.5 components in the front. i wired the two rights and two lefts together so it would be a 2 ohm load

now my problem is the rears are 45w rms and the fronts are 80w rms so with my amp at about half gain my rears overpower my fronts by a alot

is there anything i can put in line with the 6x9s to knock down the wattage going to them but yet retain the wattage to the fronts?

Rears aren't necessary without rear passengers. If you want them anyway, run them from the deck. Also, unless you have passengers listening to them, cut off/down the treble from your rear speakers from 10kHz down (even lower might be helpful). Keep the volume of the rears as low as possible so they are only just audible. Most of the music should come from the front.

Also keep in mind the more power you run, the more there's a tradeoff between output and low frequency extension. The more output you want, the higher you need the highpass filter on the speakers to be for them to be able to handle what you're asking. If you want to actually run that 160W to just about any front speaker, you will need to highpass at like 100+Hz, or you WILL be blowing speakers if your music has bass (and I don't mean bass test music only, either). With lower powers 60-80Hz should be attainable. Some people claim to be running 400w to their fronts. For those using ANY speaker in stock locations, that's BS - they may have an amp capable of 400w, but they have probably never even peaked over 100W to them. My Helix Dark Blue 4 at 60WRMS could fry my Rainbow Profi Kick 6.5" woofers EASILY highpassed at 80Hz. It could also do the same for the Dayton RS180-4s. Point of this paragraph: Be careful if you're trying to run that 160W to your fronts. Edit to note: I suppose it would probably be more like 80-100W at 4 ohms, but still, that can blow most speakers, so be careful.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.