Home Theater & Multi House Speaker Redo & Improvements

Participant count
  • Participants list

Buck
5,000+ posts

little alien on campus
Owner had a receiver go out due to being in a closed cabinet without any ventilation. New receiver is ordered. We are going to put 2 120mm fans with variable speed control in each side of the cabinet, that way the receivers can be still enclosed, but we can pump cool air into the back of the cabinet, on both sides. You'll see, pics to come.

Here's where I started, after some of the stuff being ripped out so we could access the wiring. Part of this process will also be re-routing all the HDMI cables into the new main receiver, and using it as the central control point, instead of the television. Project is just starting. More pics to come, plenty more hopefully. Pics may look like Buck took them quickly so he could work fast, just FYI.

The main receiver powers a 5 channel surround sound with single subwoofer.

Second receiver powers 6 sets of speakers in various locations throughout the house. Errrr guess who gets to test everything, ME!

New receiver is the Denon:

Other receiver rarely used, therefor it didn't overheat, we do have a wire short or signal cable short of some kind, gotta figure that out:

Overall cabinet:

Some tools:

Left side wires for the 5 channel surround:

Extending the 5 channel wires. Heat gun got hot, had to chill it. Then my poor flashlight broke, not surprised, it's been through hell lol:

Yes I wear sandals. Yes I live in FL. Yes, it was 70 degrees last Christmas day. I wear sandals often, bite me.

This is BY FAR the best shrink wrap I've used. Marine grade, has glue inside to seal oxygen out, 3:1 shrink ratio:

I'm extending all speaker wires, because the cabinet is so tight, we really need to be able to pull the receiver out the cabinet so that we don't have to ruin stuff inside by having to connect and disconnect them in such a small place, with lots of tension on the wires.

That's all I have for now. Not sure what I'm going to extend on the right side yet, because the receiver runs to a switch board, and may only need to extend on pair of wires, we'll see.

I'm a bit OCD on how I do things. I used to just do whatever, now I throw an autistic fit because I'm tired of fixing stuff that should've been done right in the first place, bahahaha. It's still fun.

I have a Denon AVRS-930H 7.2 that I got on a refurbished deal from the link below a couple years ago. Only paid like 289.99 with shipping iirc. Been using Denon receivers for years and years. Right now I have it as a 7.2 and I have a 2.1 surround bar and subwoofer as well. Shockingly they synced up perfectly when playing movies so it really makes some noise when both are going.

I have a Denon AVRS-930H 7.2 that I got on a refurbished deal from the link below a couple years ago. Only paid like 289.99 with shipping iirc. Been using Denon receivers for years and years. Right now I have it as a 7.2 and I have a 2.1 surround bar and subwoofer as well. Shockingly they synced up perfectly when playing movies so it really makes some noise when both are going.

Yeah that unit is a new refurb haha.

I'm a bit OCD on how I do things. I used to just do whatever, now I throw an autistic fit because I'm tired of fixing stuff that should've been done right in the first place, bahahaha. It's still fun.
I'm the same way, solder and heat shrink
I even put little sections of red and black heat shrink at the ends of my speaker wire so I can tell which one is + and - at a glance.
It ***** when you want to add or change anything but still

I'm the same way, solder and heat shrink
I even put little sections of red and black heat shrink at the ends of my speaker wire so I can tell which one is + and - at a glance.
It ***** when you want to add or change anything but still

I didn’t actually use solder here. I used uninsulated butt caps. I have a wire thing I do inside of the butt cap, if I can. I could here, a way to do wire on wire contact inside of the butt connector. The shrink tube has heat activated glue inside, so it seals and strengthens the connections. So it’s held together by both a crimp and the shrink tubing and it’s glue. That shrink tubing is thick marine grade, 3:1 shrink ratio. I measured the wires with a caliper before I got the tubing, just to make sure it would fully seal. Had some very significant wire coating thickness differential. That 3:1 and glue sealed all of it up completely.

It's called dual wall heat shrink or at least what the package says when I buy it.
I try to only use it but sometimes it's hard to get in the bigger sizes.
I've tried those crimps before but Im always afraid they are going to come apart somewhere down the road.
It's just my OCD messing with my head but it's still sitting there screaming at me.
I have a really nice Weller soldering station I got a while back, I prefer the analog ones over the new digital ones but it does the trick.
Plus I fear change so there's that.

It's called dual wall heat shrink or at least what the package says when I buy it.
I try to only use it but sometimes it's hard to get in the bigger sizes.
I've tried those crimps before but Im always afraid they are going to come apart somewhere down the road.
It's just my OCD messing with my head but it's still sitting there screaming at me.
I have a really nice Weller soldering station I got a while back, I prefer the analog ones over the new digital ones but it does the trick.
Plus I fear change so there's that.

The key is to not crimp the butt connectors too hard. There's many nuances when doing work like this that matter.

Testing the new receiver, making sure all speakers work correctly, and playing music loudly for extended times to test stereo integrity, while I extend all the non-surround wires for easier access/work-ability when issues arise:

I just happened to notice this: this is the light for a digital audio cable, I assume it's fiber optic, lol sure looks like it:

That's all for now. Hoping to cut the fan holes out tomorrow, and start throwing it all back together. Errrrrr was hoping to run the second receiver off the primary's signal, but there's no RCA output or anything, besides the sub woofers. I've never seen a receiver without at least one full spectrum RCA output......idk. I'm hoping there's a setting in this Denon that allows one of the audio in's to be an audio out. Seems really stupid not to have some sort of audio output.

So, I just had to cut the holes in the back of this thing with the back still attached. Fan holes came out fairly well, cut with a jig saw that's literally older than I am. All of the back stuff is pressed up very close to a wall, so looks weren't as important, but a time schedule was, so I tried to make it the best looking I could, while making it completely functional and within the time limit:

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...