HO alternator installed, plus big 3. Same voltage/amperage as before

Just an update. I hooked up an epic 150 to the setup (mainly just for the voltage readout heh) and the amp is seeing 13.0v at idle playing music at full tilt and 13.7v above 1.8k rpms playing music at full tilt. At the amps power terminals it sees the same thing, but dips down a bit more for just a sec then back up. I've got a cap I can install that should fix that momentary dip.
Worked out well in the end I guess.

Also I noticed that when I leave my car off for more than 8 hours or so then start the vehicle, the alternator puts out 14.3v for around 10 minutes then drops to 13.8v. Think thats its regulator attempting to charge the battery or something? It's extremely consistent in doing this, just seems odd I guess.

pzaully
I know that some cars when you first start them they idle high for a few minutes till they warm up.

So the locals suggested 4 runner altys? My 4runner alty is only about 70 amps and I have not had any luck with finding a higher "stock" amp that can be a direct replacement.

Could be that later model 4 runners have a larger alty that will fit your truck but not my 4 runner. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

So the locals suggested 4 runner altys? My 4runner alty is only about 70 amps and I have not had any luck with finding a higher "stock" amp that can be a direct replacement.
Could be that later model 4 runners have a larger alty that will fit your truck but not my 4 runner. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

The locals suggested whatever their computers showed them fit my truck, half of them didnt even know how many amps it would produce. "whatever the one you have in there now used to make, these would be about the same" and other comments of the like. I remember a few of the same year 4runner alts were drop in replacements for my truck also, but didnt come with anything higher than 70 or 80 amps. I contacted the local toyota dealers and they were even less help, they couldnt even get the wiring harness (well one wire piece harness) for me. I'm sure there are some really good auto places around here, I just havnt stumbled upon one yet.

The alt that was actually installed was a used, rewired one from ebay. From the picture I posted, here I didnt have much of a choice without moving some things around. Anyways the ebay alt has worked out as good as expected and was a perfect drop in replacement.

pzaully

The locals suggested whatever their computers showed them fit my truck, half of them didnt even know how many amps it would produce. "whatever the one you have in there now used to make, these would be about the same" and other comments of the like. I remember a few of the same year 4runner alts were drop in replacements for my truck also, but didnt come with anything higher than 70 or 80 amps. I contacted the local toyota dealers and they were even less help, they couldnt even get the wiring harness (well one wire piece harness) for me. I'm sure there are some really good auto places around here, I just havnt stumbled upon one yet.
The alt that was actually installed was a used, rewired one from ebay. From the picture I posted, here I didnt have much of a choice without moving some things around. Anyways the ebay alt has worked out as good as expected and was a perfect drop in replacement.

pzaully
I know the feeling. I do think that the toyotas present some uncommon issues. at least that is what it sounds like when talking to local auto electrical shops.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.