High Piched Noise from pre-out but not from speaker out

Participant count
  • Participants list

Stuk_vreten

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi all,

I have this issue for a long time, tried many different things and let an expert look at it (and he could not fix it). I have a Jeep with the Premium Boston Acoustics sound system. My head unit screen broke so i bought a Pioneer head unit. The system is unchanged. The speaker wires and factory amp work perfectly (with the original head unit).

I use an interface together to turn on the amp and use my steering wheel controls.

I have the following problem:

- When the low level signal wires are connected to the pre-out RCA of the Pioneer, and I turn the key to ignition I hear a high pithed noise that does not change with volume or engine RPM.

Facts:
- When I connect the low level wires to the speaker output of the head unit (I know this is bad), the high pitched noise is gone, but the sound quality is bad (obviously).
- When i connect my phone to the signal wires, everything sounds great.

So the problem must be the Pioneer Head Unit, but there is only noise when I use the pre-out RCA in combination with the car on ignition.

I tried the following without results:

- Big wire to ground the head unit to the cars frame (next to the battery)
- Big wire from the head units ground to the amps ground
- Wired the shielding of the RCA to multiple grounds

What could be the problem and how do I fix this? Is the head unit broken or is this a typical ground loop problem? Or does the interface for steering wheel controls mess with the pioneer? The interface is connected to the powerwire of the head unit.

Thanks a lot for helping me out!

Josh

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...