High pass filter or low level converter?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Lukestrat1984

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi,

I've recently installed new speakers (vibe slick 6" components in front, vibe slick 6" coaxial in back) and a vibe powerbox 4 channel micro amp using my factory head unit and sound is good but very low frequencies like bass drums cause the speakers to clip out and pop, adjusting EQ doesn't really improve it but mid range bass is good so bass guitars etc sounds strong but I want to install a subwoofer to improve it more, I don't have rca output on the stereo or amp so I want to use a sub with high level input tapped into the speakers.

1. Am I best tapping into the front or rear speakers? Does it matter?
2. Should I then use the high pass filter on the amp? There is 1 for the front 2 channels and 1 for the rear 2 channels?
3. Am I better using a high to low level converter with rca outputs from the speakers? And keep the rest of the existing setup as it is?

Welcome any recommendations for underseat subs too? It's in an suv but I need the boot space so having to go compact. Budget is tight but don't mind looking for deals on ebay etc

Thanks

In order to add a sub amp you are going to want to tap into the factory speakers before the 4channel.you have now and use the front door both left and right.

You can likely tap into the same location you current amp is with either a separate hi/lol convertor or an amp that has the built in feature much like the power box 4 you have now.

You need to set the amps high pass filter to at least 60hz probably closer to 80hz in order to keep the speakers from bottoming out and being damaged while trying to play bass.

Hi,

I've recently installed new speakers (vibe slick 6" components in front, vibe slick 6" coaxial in back) and a vibe powerbox 4 channel micro amp using my factory head unit and sound is good but very low frequencies like bass drums cause the speakers to clip out and pop, adjusting EQ doesn't really improve it but mid range bass is good so bass guitars etc sounds strong but I want to install a subwoofer to improve it more, I don't have rca output on the stereo or amp so I want to use a sub with high level input tapped into the speakers.

1. Am I best tapping into the front or rear speakers? Does it matter?
2. Should I then use the high pass filter on the amp? There is 1 for the front 2 channels and 1 for the rear 2 channels?
3. Am I better using a high to low level converter with rca outputs from the speakers? And keep the rest of the existing setup as it is?

Welcome any recommendations for underseat subs too? It's in an suv but I need the boot space so having to go compact. Budget is tight but don't mind looking for deals on ebay etc

Thanks

You need to set the high pass filter for your 6.5" speakers. I wouldn't run anything lower than 80hz. 100hz would be alot safer. Adding a subwoofer will fill in the low frequencies, and your 6.5s will play louder and sound better.

Matt

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...