High Pass Filter and sub help

Participant count
  • Participant list

mac336
10+ year member

I'm using a alpine 9886 headunit that has a HPF on it. I currently have 2 10" w3v3, (powered by JL slash 500/1 v2) The problem is they are so loud and overpowering of my speakers. When I turn the HPF on though, I put it at 80hz and It cuts about 40-60% of the bass down which makes it listenable. THe problem though, is that I would like my subs a little bit louder than they are with the HPF at 80 hz (80 hz is the lowest setting HPF will go). Adjusting the bass/sub level/etc on head unit doesnt do much. I'm assuming I turn down a setting on my amp that would solve my problem? (bear with me I know little about car audio) But idk which setting that would be and I would play with it, but I don't want to screw anything up. ANy help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Using the HPF is diverting bass frequencies from your sub. Sounds like you just need to turn it down..

The level control on your amp is in the area called Amplifier Input Selection, and it's labeled Input Sens. Take note of its current position (or mark the panel with a sharpie) before adjusting it, in case you want to put it back where it was.

The HPF is for your speakers and independent of your subs. You just removed bass from your speakers with that setting. The HU has a separate sub level control which you can use to adjust sub volume only.

If the HU is powering your speakers, then you are limited to how loud they can cleanly play. So you also limit sub volume when you want balanced sound. To get more volume, add an amp for your speakers. To turn down the subs, use the HU's sub level control and turn down the gain.

Input sensitivity is used to match your HU output voltage to the amp. If you don't use your full HU volume, you'll never reach rated output voltage. At a 6V setting the gain is minimum since the incoming signal is strong. At a 0.5V setting the gain is near maximum since the incoming signal is low. But turning the gain down (I.e.higher voltage number = counter-clockwise) is fine and won't hurt a thing. Less power is good for subs.

Of course they do. The get analog signals, also considered information. Loosely defined, anyway. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Engineer speak

The HPF is for your speakers and independent of your subs. You just removed bass from your speakers with that setting. The HU has a separate sub level control which you can use to adjust sub volume only.
If the HU is powering your speakers, then you are limited to how loud they can cleanly play. So you also limit sub volume when you want balanced sound. To get more volume, add an amp for your speakers. To turn down the subs, use the HU's sub level control and turn down the gain.

Input sensitivity is used to match your HU output voltage to the amp. If you don't use your full HU volume, you'll never reach rated output voltage. At a 6V setting the gain is minimum since the incoming signal is strong. At a 0.5V setting the gain is near maximum since the incoming signal is low. But turning the gain down (I.e.higher voltage number = counter-clockwise) is fine and won't hurt a thing. Less power is good for subs.

WHen I adjust subwoofer level setting on my HU it doesnt affect subwoofer level at all. All it does is add more treble to my 6x9s in the back. When I adjust HPF (the three possible settings are 0 Hz, 80 Hz, and 120 Hz) the ONLY thing it does is cut out the sub. more as I increase the Hz.

Of course they do. The get analog signals, also considered information. Loosely defined, anyway. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gifEngineer speak
You got a groan for that earlier post. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.