High End?

i do not agree
I don't agree with you not agreeing, but, in general, you're right //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

To the original poster: sounds like you need some mad processing. What did you have planned??

the perfect 3-way for me would be
dedicated midbass (Peerless XLS 8s) $150 @ solen.ca (10mm+ xmax...)

dedicated midrange (Peerless Exclusive 4.5/5.5 (if you've got the room) 8ohm

Dayton Reference 5" RS125 4ohm (cheap, sound great, and are 4 ohm)

Scanspeak Revelator 4.5... if you're rolling in the $$$

dedicated tweeter (LCY 108s) without a doubt the best tweeter suited for kickpanels and the car environment. They have amazing on and off-axis response (flat to 10khz @ 60* and +/- 5dB to 20khz @ 60*)... they'll cost you a pretty penny though

You can pick them up off solen.ca or speaking with npdang at diymobileaudio could save you a few bucks on those ($350 maybe less for a pair if you know the right people)

perfect 2-way would be

Seas Excel W18NX 7" Nextel $154 each

LCY 108s
The LCYs are not necessarily ideal for kick panel mounting. Their increased vertical dispersion will result in reflections under the dash. Consequently, traditional ribbons such as Aurum Cantus, Raven, or Fountek could work better in kick panels if you can aim them right (I have Aurum Cantus G3Sis I'm building kicks for right now and it's a real pain in the ass to get them aimed really well - if I had more fabrication skill and a bigger budget I'd love to build motorized kicks like Scott Buwalda) and don't mind rolled off highs in the back seats. Both of your recommendations would sound amazing given the right tuning, though.

Yes this is where I am getting stuck.... In peoples reviews, and all the installs of late in the Car Audio Mags, show the tweeters back up on the A pillars. I guess the kick pannels is not the optimum placement anymore? The problem my car has, is the A pillar has a vent right under it, aimed at the side windows to defrost them. So putting a large Ribbon tweeter up there is not optimal. I was looking into the BG Neo3 ribbon.

That being said, I could do a small traditional tweeter in a custom housing on the Pillar if needed, and put only the Mid driver in the kick, and the Midbass in the door.

If the tweeter in more then 1" or so, it will either have to go high on the door, or in the kick pannels. I think I am set of the Peerless Midbass driver, still not sure on the mid, untill I have the tweeter figured out, as I find the tweeter being very important.

I don't agree with you not agreeing, but, in general, you're right //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
To the original poster: sounds like you need some mad processing. What did you have planned??
And if you talking to me, I have an Eclipse 8053 that has a lot of tweaking controls. But I was also thinking of possibly getting some EQ's like EQT's or something if needed.

And if you talking to me, I have an Eclipse 8053 that has a lot of tweaking controls. But I was also thinking of possibly getting some EQ's like EQT's or something if needed.
Right, but aren't you wanting to run 3 way up front with a sub (ie. 7 channels of amplification)? That would require either an electronic x-over or the splitting of one of your preouts off the 8053, wouldn't it? I have the same HU and I'm in the same predicament. Thus my asking you what you had planned?

Yes I plan on a US Amp 3 way crossover that will split the Mid bass from the Midrange, comming out of the 8053's midrange crossover output. I am not positive on the US Amps, but thought since I have all US Amps I might as well.

Yes I plan on a US Amp 3 way crossover that will split the Mid bass from the Midrange, comming out of the 8053's midrange crossover output. I am not positive on the US Amps, but thought since I have all US Amps I might as well.
Sounds good...keep it in the USA //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/patriotic.gif.b47a6e0394a3738334c387bdf79409f4.gif

Where is Hebrew Hammer!

He has used every EXTREMLEY HIGH END audio speaker out there....Like Gensis, Rainbow Plats, Focal BE etc.

I've covered the majority of well known brands high ends....

Boston Acoustic Z6

JL Audio ZR

Polk SR6500

Focal 165K2P

Diamond Audio D9

Kicker SS

I think thats all I've ever gotten ahold of

My favorites of all of those have to be the BA's and the Focal....even though the D9's where extremley impressive!

-Nick-

Well when I originally got my CDT's it all came to what kind of music you liked. CDT's at the time were best suited for my kind of music, where the Boston Z's were for more rock and metal listeners. I listen to Classical/Jazz/Folk type music, so most of the music is very dynamic, and has many instruments playing at once across the whole audio spectrum. This makes designing the best audio set-up even more difficult, and the reason I am wanting a 3way front stage and sub. I want as much of the sound up front as possible, so that my sub only has to play 50-60 Hz and down.

If you're using very high end speakers the stock locations probably won't do them justice. A pillar installs allow you to get good stage height easily, but are harder to image due to smaller pathlengths and tons of reflections. Kick panels will give you longer pathlengths to improve imaging, but will be harder to get a good stage height. If you're doing a 3-way, I'd be wary of putting a huge ribbon in your car. My Aurum Cantus G3Sis are almost 6" tall, and once you add baffles the kickpanels for just tweeters get BIG. Basically, true ribbons will be bigger than the midranges you're looking at. If you've got a lot of cash, Aurum Cantus G1s ($500 each - but they play pretty low and are supposed to be incredible) and Seas Excel or Scanspeak Revelator mids would be an amazing two-way. The BG Neo3s are supposed to sound almost as good as true ribbons in a car, so that would be an option to save space and money if you really want a 3-way.

Well How does this sound...

1) Neo3 and Scanspeak Rev in the kick pannels, with the Peerless XLS 8" in the doors

2) LPG25 in the A pillar Scanspeak Rev in the kick, Peerless in the door

3) LPG in the Pillar, and the Kick with SEAS in the kicks Peerless in the doors.

4) Usher 9950c and Seas or Scanspeak in the kicks with Peerless in the doors.

Any of these combos sound good? BTW this setup is going in a 1991 Geo Prism/1991 Toyota Corolla.

Well How does this sound...
1) Neo3 and Scanspeak Rev in the kick pannels, with the Peerless XLS 8" in the doors

2) LPG25 in the A pillar Scanspeak Rev in the kick, Peerless in the door

3) LPG in the Pillar, and the Kick with SEAS in the kicks Peerless in the doors.

4) Usher 9950c and Seas or Scanspeak in the kicks with Peerless in the doors.

Any of these combos sound good? BTW this setup is going in a 1991 Geo Prism/1991 Toyota Corolla.
They'll probably all sound great. I would try to hear the Seas and Scanspeak mids as it will be a matter of taste. The Seas will be incredibly revealing to the point of being unforgiving of bad recordings, but the Scanspeak will also be very detailed. They're both in the top echelon of drivers. I'd definitely go for the Peerless, they're supposed to be incredible midbass drivers. The tweeters will also be a matter of choice, but I haven't heard anything bad about any of those. I don't know why you'd put the large-format Usher in a 3-way, though.

Just said Usher because I could squeeze it in the kick panel I am sure, and the review sounded good. I will need a little help with which model to get as far as the Seas and Scanspeak are concerned as they seem to have multiple numbers for each size, and I do not know what the difference mean.

What do you think of doing 4 tweeters? Is there any bad thing about doing this? All I can see is it would reduce the blocking of legs and such with the tweeters being in the kicks. But what about there now being 4 different pathlengths instead of dealing with only 2?

Lastly, If you have an 8" in your door, is it necessary to still get the largest woofer in the kicks as possible for the midrange sound? I was going to go with a 4" driver for space reasons but of course I could easily go with a 5.5 or even a 6.5 especially if I put the tweets up high.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.