High density fiberboard

Full Tilt
10+ year member

Bonafide MAFer
Iowa
Well, it's that time of the year. I'm a Senior in high school, and that means shop classes. I plan on finally finishing up my enclosure here in the shop, and I had a quick question.

We're trying to get most of our wood from the local lumber shop. My instructor says they've got high density fiberboard, but he's not sure about MDF. Now, would 'HDF' work just as well as MDF? Do you guys know how much more expensive it'll be, if at all?

I expect functionally it would be better, though it's hard to tell if it's as easy to work with.... though I think MDF really is awful to work with and I'd see what you can get for a good "cabinet grade" plywood.

I expect functionally it would be better, though it's hard to tell if it's as easy to work with.... though I think MDF really is awful to work with and I'd see what you can get for a good "cabinet grade" plywood.
I'm really curious how much stronger it'd be than MDF...it's probably gonna add some weight, though.

You're going to have to just go for it and let us know how it works.
I might make a smaller enclosure for testing...I'd just hate to make a nice 6 cube enclosure out of the ish and have it end up not working as well.

It's a good bit heavier than MDF. Nice stuff to work with as far as getting sharp edges and other shaping is concerned. Eats bits and blades a bit quicker, too.

It's a good bit heavier than MDF. Nice stuff to work with as far as getting sharp edges and other shaping is concerned. Eats bits and blades a bit quicker, too.
Thanks for the reply. Is there any sort of difference in the structural integrity between the two?

HDF is stronger than MDF, and waaaayyy heavier. It's what high end home speaker cabinets are made with (covered in veneer). If you've ever had to move a piece of furniture like a computer desk that was made with HDF you'd know what I mean.

HDF is stronger than MDF, and waaaayyy heavier. It's what high end home speaker cabinets are made with (covered in veneer). If you've ever had to move a piece of furniture like a computer desk that was made with HDF you'd know what I mean.
So do you think a 6 cube enclosure (possibly with a double baffle) would get a little too heavy?

Thanks for the reply. Is there any sort of difference in the structural integrity between the two?
I'm guessing that it's less porous, not sure about that. Seems like a higher glue to wood ratio, makes a higher ring when you tap on it.

I suppose I'll do it simply for the experience. Thanks for the reply guys, I'll keep you updated as it goes together.

From my understanding most hdf isn't 3/4" thick. But from the stuff I've seen it is heavier but just as easy to work with.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.