Hifonics HFI 1000

Participant count
  • Participant list
What sub? Wired to what impedance?

Surround coming off the cone would have a lot more to do with poor manufacturing than over-powering.

I would go as far as to say that had nothing to do with power.

800's a realistic guesstimation, but I'd take the under.

What sub? Wired to what impedance?
Surround coming off the cone would have a lot more to do with poor manufacturing than over-powering.

I would go as far as to say that had nothing to do with power.

800's a realistic guesstimation, but I'd take the under.
It's a Rockford Fosgate P2D2 12 wired at 1 ohm. I had my gains at half, so it wasn't because it was too overpowered.

Gain is set according to incoming signal voltage. So having the gain at 50% in no way guarantees you were not overpowering the sub. Considering that the P2 is a 400w rms sub you were probably closer to over-powering the sub by about double its recommended RMS. But even taking that into consideration I still don't think the failure you described is due to the power it was seeing.

Too much power typically causes the voice coil to overheat which causes problems in the motor structure - glue break down, coil fraying . If the cone/surround glue joint was torn due to too much power the voice coil would have to have been getting slammed off the back plate -- which again, would have caused voice coil damage long before a glue joint would come undone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.