Hifonics 100.4 going into protect

Participant count
  • Participant list

DjDan101
10+ year member

I just bought a Hifonics 100.4 amp about a week ago and it works fine most of the time but sometimes when I have it turned up it goes into protection mode and I can't figure out why. I had an SSL 400.4 on it before, which had no power filter so I removed it, and it never did so I'm assuming it's not the wiring. The gain is only turned up about 1/4 of the way and it's not getting hot... any ideas?

Two Scoche 6 3/4 speakers. I can't remember what the model is, but they are just cheap $30 speakers from Walmart until I bring myself to buy the Fosgates that I'm going to get. And both of my amps run through my capacitor, so they are grounded to the same place, which I hope isn't bad. My JBL that's on my subs doesn't do it so I wouldn't assume it was the ground

Two Scoche 6 3/4 speakers. I can't remember what the model is, but they are just cheap $30 speakers from Walmart until I bring myself to buy the Fosgates that I'm going to get. And both of my amps run through my capacitor, so they are grounded to the same place, which I hope isn't bad. My JBL that's on my subs doesn't do it so I wouldn't assume it was the ground
And lose the cap!

Okay tomorrow I will make sure it's secured. The way I have my wires run, the ground does go directly down and the box kinda sits on it. I haven't screwed it down yet so maybe it got pulled on. It's also done with the cheap Boss wires that I ordered with the SSL. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif The copper feels soft. For future reference, don't get it. Haha.

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

I know people disagree with caps, but even if it isn't doing any good, it looks cool nonetheless. It made my car chill out on the dimming headlights so I like to keep it around. Eventually, I'll get a high output alternator.

I'm only using two of the channels. Once I replace the rear speakers, I'm going to use all four.

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

Yeah I found out about the paint problems and such so I regrounded it to a good spot, but it might be lose on the amp so I'm going to fix that tomorrow.

Just wanted to thank you guys. I actually had to pack drums in my car and accidentally pulled the ground wire out, which reminded me to fix it. I haven't had any problems with it since then! Thanks a ton!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.