JL Audio amp question

Participant count
  • Participant list

BNolan12
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I understand many of you aren't to quick to jump on the mainstream equipment but i have the chance to get a really nice deal on a JL Audio 500/1 older model. The specs say is is capable of putting 500rmsx1 at any ohm load from 1.5-4. I've never seen an amp like that is it really a true 500 no matter what ohm load it is and could someone explain why this is true. Seems like all amp makers would use this "technology" if it worked well.

Yes JL slash amps do rated at all ohms between 1.5-4

Its a factor as to why they are so expensive, but really handy feature.

Its because the power supply is 'regulated'

Yes JL slash amps do rated at all ohms between 1.5-4
Its a factor as to why they are so expensive, but really handy feature.

Its because the power supply is 'regulated'
ahh, nice to know. Yes, it does seem like a really nice feature to have which is why i wanted to be sure bc i wasn't sure if it was a sales pitch or something of that sort.

I also have another question about this..if this amp does rated at all ohms, is there pros/cons in running it at 4 ohms rather than say 2 ohms since its putting out the same power

I don't know about the Jo amps but the efficiency does go down as the ohm load is lowered so I would try to wire as high as possible to make life easy for both the cars electrical and the amp itself.

there is really no benefit to runnign a higher ohm load VS a lower one. im sure someone will come in here and argue the contrary, but what it boils down to is can your electrical handle the lower load. the "regulated" amps tend to be a bit harsher on your electrical than non regulated amps tho.

Matt

there is really no benefit to runnign a higher ohm load VS a lower one. im sure someone will come in here and argue the contrary, but what it boils down to is can your electrical handle the lower load. the "regulated" amps tend to be a bit harsher on your electrical than non regulated amps tho.
Matt
Sounds like your contradicting yourself a lower amperage draw is something I would consider a benefit and there is no aguement about it there a little harder on electrical at there lowest rated impedance but still not too bad to get constant power from almost all ohm loads and anywhere fro 9v-15v is a decent trade off.

lol and you just proved me right. i myself would run a higher load if i can. but its more personal prefrence. i dont like running my stuff balls out, pushing its limits all the time. im actually looking for an amp that can do ~800W @ 1 ohm and ~300W at 4 ohms. then when i want to pound i can wire my subs to 1 ohm, but if i want to just play i can wire to 4 ohms.

there are other "benefits" to running higher ohm load. mainly dampening factor. notice how i put benefits in quotes. just like lower current draw isnt really a benefit if you have stout elecrical.

Matt

I understand it a lil more now. I was thinking about going with 2 SVC 8 ohm(bc they're cheaper) and wiring them 4 ohm load. Just wanted to make sure I would be missing out of harming the amp in anyway

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.