Hide the amps!!!!!!!

oxsign
5,000+ posts

No Affiliation
Orlando, FL
So I did this one a few weeks ago. I had my big sub amp under my rear seat and I hated it there. It stuck out and I always had to tell people "be careful" or "watch the wires". Plus I got a 3rd amp and had to figure out where the hell to put it without it being an eye sore as well. So I decided to gut out my center console of the factory amp & sub/box and put all 3 of my amps in there hidden away!!!!! Yup, this was going to be a task all in itself........

The new amp that will be used only for my mids (either 2 6.5" & 2 8" or 4 6.5" & 2 8"). It's a Sound Stream TN4.990D (4ch) and it even comes with a 1/0 adapter that I did use.. I will be using the Taramp 400x4 for the tweeters and the AQ3500.1D for the 4 10" subs.

Now for the tear down and see just how much space I actually have to work with under there. Console is out. Theres the sub & amp (it's ported too, lol) and **** it's dirty under there, lol.

With all the amps under there, there is a 3"x3" AC duct that will blow directly onto the amps. And with a little duct work and a fan or 2, I can direct it around so it circulates under there.

I stacked all the amps and put the console back on there to see if they'd fit...... THEY DID!!!!!

So I started running wire to where I was going to need it.

So now I have to make some brackets. I used mostly 1" x 1/4" aluminum I got from ACE and bent/cut it up to work and I started stacking and mounting the amps. It's not the prettiest but it's sturdy and it worked great. I left enough space so the air can circulate between them too. Also, I mounted them all so the controls are all facing the same so I can adjust them easier too.

Put the AC duct back on and did some cutting and drilling to direct the air where I want it (kinda hard to see).

Then I put the console back on for the final time (after hooking all the wires up of course lol).

I'll get a better pic with it completely put back together. I've been driving around for a week now and the amps are doing great under there. They are barely getting warm to the touch driving daily.

Apart from the 'jorts', that looks amazing! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif Crazy how much space there was in there.

Apart from the 'jorts', that looks amazing! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif Crazy how much space there was in there.
Jorts are the ultimate system install wear!!!!!!

I love having my amps out of site. Now if I can find a way to "hide" the woofer my car will be full stealth mode.
The subs are "kinda" hidden in the Avalanche since you can't really see them unless you drop the rear seats or rear tailgate, lol. The glass kick panels are the only thing that really shouts "system" in the truck. If I could figure out a way to do something with them and the tweeters, i'd be golden.

That soundstream has a 40a fuse and a 35a fuse. Good looking install dude, my amps are hidden as well, mids/highs behind the dash, sub amp is under the floor in back next to the spare, had to cut some styrofoam but it worked out fine.

That soundstream has a 40a fuse and a 35a fuse. Good looking install dude, my amps are hidden as well, mids/highs behind the dash, sub amp is under the floor in back next to the spare, had to cut some styrofoam but it worked out fine.
Yeah, I thought it was odd too. I opened another one at the shop and it was the same way too, lol. It also came with a spare 35a & 40a fuse in the box. The nice thing about this amp that was kinda cool was that it came with a 1/0 adapter too.

Here's a couple pix of the comple install. One of the things I recently added 2 little 2" fans in the rear AC vents to help exhaust some air. I really don't think they were needed, but I'd rather be safe than sorry, lol.

The sub box I'm still working on it. It's got LEDs throughout and I still need to clean up some wires there.

Just did something really similar this weekend in my Duramax, mounted my amp to the back of the cab, but I took the interior out. Using the Cleansweep to keep everything looking factory, retain bose and steering wheel controls.

Wow nice job oxsign. Stealthy indeed. I like inspiring minds and creativity. Mine are somewhat hidden.....made a custom amp rack under the rear seats in my Tahoe. Nothing covering them.

Are those 4 8's or 4 10's you got runnin' there?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.