Hi Res Music - It's for Real

i have listened to some B&W signature speakers run off Krell amps and Denon dvd player with over 20khz audio being played, and i could hear over 20khz easily. Not like much is happening in that range, but i could hear it. Test tones up to around 23k is where it fell off for me
At normal listening volume I’m done at 15k. Cranked beyond stupid I’m good till 18k.

At normal listening volume I’m done at 15k. Cranked beyond stupid I’m good till 18k.
when i worked at a local ultimate electronics, i would take my lunch breaks in the high end home audio room and just revel in the sheer level of WTF audio quality the speakers produced. Plus the 7.1 remastering of albums like metallicas black album on the format was incredible. Really a shame it died off

when i worked at a local ultimate electronics, i would take my lunch breaks in the high end home audio room and just revel in the sheer level of WTF audio quality the speakers produced. Plus the 7.1 remastering of albums like metallicas black album on the format was incredible. Really a shame it died off
I tried 7.1 in the car. It wasn’t worth cutting the dash for the center channel. I might do the rears again one day but put them in the C-pillar

My brother in law has an older early 2001 (I think) Acura TL with the optional surround sound system in it. He still has a few of those DVD’s (can’t remember the exact format) from the early 2000’s and for a factory surround sound system it sounds really good. It has that center channel, seperate tweeters and woofers, and a subwoofer, all from the factory.

My brother in law has an older early 2001 (I think) Acura TL with the optional surround sound system in it. He still has a few of those DVD’s (can’t remember the exact format) from the early 2000’s and for a factory surround sound system it sounds really good. It has that center channel, seperate tweeters and woofers, and a subwoofer, all from the factory.
Imagine some Krell amps driving some $7000 B&W speakers in your car LoL

Imagine some Krell amps driving some $7000 B&W speakers in your car LoL
I could, my uncle had Snell A Acoustics speakers and some nice Crown Amplifiers with seperate pre-amp that cost a lot more than that. Still to this day I get goose bumps thinking about how good that system sounded.

Exceeding 16-bit 44.1 kHz in the recording and mastering realm has benefits. The biggest one I can recall now is greater dynamic range, which is sometimes useful for editing.

In the playback realm the benefits of "Hi-Res" formats alone become much less obvious, assuming the listener has normal hearing. I'm convinced the biggest improvements come from dynamic range retained in the mastering process, not the extra bits available in the file format. That is audible in CDs and other legacy formats.

I have all HiRes quality speakers And matching subwoofers in my recent install. I didn’t put much faith on the HiRes Audio claims made by the manufacturer but I was looking for ultimate sound quality. I was pretty maticulous about the install and feel i did a good job in providing the speakers with everything they need to perform. I soldered every connection etc. sounds amazing on Pandora and CD. Now I have to actually hear the Hires audio. I purchased some files from a website but couldn’t download them to my phone so I wasted a bunch of money. How would I go about getting this audio into my car audio?

Also, I read an article on how people perceive audio quality. A person can actually hear a difference in Sound quality if they spent money on an upgraded component (I.e. wires, speakers, caps, battery etc.). So if there are two identical systems and one has a better quality speaker wire, that system will sound better to them because their brain knows about the wire difference and perceives the sound as better....every person perceives audio differently. I blew out my ears with a 155db daily driver a while back however I feel I can hear sound quality and know how to maximize it....funny my stuff probably sounds like garbage and I can’t tell. My brain knows the price of my speakers and that automatically makes them sound amazing!!lol

Now I have to actually hear the Hires audio. I purchased some files from a website but couldn’t download them to my phone so I wasted a bunch of money. How would I go about getting this audio into my car audio?
The files... What is the quality? What is your head unit capable of playing? Does your phone have a USB port? If it does you may be able to have those files on a USB drive and through an adapter, play them through your phone... possibly?

My current hu has a 24 bit D/A converter for the usb interface, same as the DVD D/A converter bit rate... but not sure about the sampling rate from the usb interface. I saved a crap load of uncompressed audio files wav and aif files to DVD but if they were rates above what was supported on the hu for the types of files, it failed to be recognized. For instance wav files sampling at higher than 44.1khz are not supported, but aac files at 32-48khz are. Am out of luck for aif files for this deck...My system is not setup completely for hi-res playback, but I notice the difference between an mp3 played back at its bit rate compared to a wav or other uncompressed format played back at better sampling rate by the hu. In the end I always go back to good ole CDs at 44.1khz at best.

I have all HiRes quality speakers And matching subwoofers in my recent install. I didn’t put much faith on the HiRes Audio claims made by the manufacturer but I was looking for ultimate sound quality. I was pretty maticulous about the install and feel i did a good job in providing the speakers with everything they need to perform. I soldered every connection etc. sounds amazing on Pandora and CD. Now I have to actually hear the Hires audio. I purchased some files from a website but couldn’t download them to my phone so I wasted a bunch of money. How would I go about getting this audio into my car audio?

Also, I read an article on how people perceive audio quality. A person can actually hear a difference in Sound quality if they spent money on an upgraded component (I.e. wires, speakers, caps, battery etc.). So if there are two identical systems and one has a better quality speaker wire, that system will sound better to them because their brain knows about the wire difference and perceives the sound as better....every person perceives audio differently. I blew out my ears with a 155db daily driver a while back however I feel I can hear sound quality and know how to maximize it....funny my stuff probably sounds like garbage and I can’t tell. My brain knows the price of my speakers and that automatically makes them sound amazing!!lol
I hate to tell you this. Those “Hi-res” speakers only mean they can play up to 40k hertz. Nobody can hear past 20k and most of us old bassheads fall off around 15k. Nobody takes that stuff serious.

I love the way you tell me what I can't hear, it's so cute. Do it again?
I suppose if I tell you I can appreciate pitch definition down to 14Hz you will disagree with that as well, right. Because you can't, right?
maybe in a external speaker situation where your really hearing different higher frequency vibrations, resonances, and rattles. but i would bet with unclipped headphones and a blind test you would have incredible difficulty differentiating tones to close together, maybe the little more than half an octave between 14 and 20hz as a direct comparison but semitones or tones you wouldn't be able to tell. i have serious doubts. it starts to sound like a drummer that low. fast snare players can pretty much roll that fast and without a counter its really hard to differentiate.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.