Hey everybody! Getting back into car stereo some after years of absence. Got a few questions

jordanCS

CarAudio.com Newbie
Oct 19, 2019
Clinton, MS
Hey, so I used to be in the forums on car stereo on a daily basis, but life happened some, and I didn't have as much time for it for a while.

Anyway, I have a different car. A 2013 Honda Civic. I'm trying to put one of my old woofers in it as a first step to this process.

I'm wondering what the best / easiest ways to add a subwoofer to a stock audio system are.

I know I can use a line output converter, but I'm wondering what the drawbacks of doing so are.

Would it be better to buy a new head unit and run everything from there? I'd rather not go through this time and effort since I don't know how long I'll have this car, but if it will provide much better quality, then I may do it.

Or.. maybe something like this would work? https://catalog.pac-audio.com/catalog/best-kits-installation-accessories/bha1730
Specifically, that says 2008 - 2012 Honda models, so I don't know if that would work for me. Just wondering.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Slo_Ride

Regulator
10+ year member
Oct 15, 2005
ATLANTA
If you don't want to replace the factory hu just use a loc. No problems doing so,plenty of people use them.

OP
J

jordanCS

CarAudio.com Newbie
Oct 19, 2019
Clinton, MS
I saw a DSP getting mentioned in some of the other threads. I'm not very familiar with digital signal processors. Would this take a large amount of effort or money to accomplish or is it fairly straight forward?

Popwarhomie

Team Lethal Pressure
Jan 22, 2010
Florida
If you are just adding subwoofers a LOC is fine. If you are wanting to do a sound quality front stage as well I would deff recommend getting a DSP

OP
J

jordanCS

CarAudio.com Newbie
Oct 19, 2019
Clinton, MS
Oof on the ELD. Looks like a bit of a pain to deal with. That super sucks! But thanks all for the LOC suggestion. I have done that before, so I'm very familiar with how to deal with that. Going to need to educate myself on ELD bypass for my car before embarking on this adventure.

OP
J

jordanCS

CarAudio.com Newbie
Oct 19, 2019
Clinton, MS
Looks like there are some guides for previous generation hondas. 9th gen being one of the most recent does not have the same attention yet. I'm hoping something easy can be done... If anyone knows of anything, let me know

OP
J

jordanCS

CarAudio.com Newbie
Oct 19, 2019
Clinton, MS
It's only a 500w amp. Its the Alpine mrv-m500 i believe. I can verify that shortly. I dont think its necessary to bypass the ELD with something that simple, but if I ever get to something more powerful, I can. However, there is a workaround by just turning on the headlights, the alternator kicks into high and the voltage kicks up to 14.5 or so.

OP
J

jordanCS

CarAudio.com Newbie
Oct 19, 2019
Clinton, MS
I know the alternator is like only 80 Amp or so, so putting something more powerful in this car is going to take a lot of effort. I figure if/when I do that I'll bypass the ELD.

OP
J

jordanCS

CarAudio.com Newbie
Oct 19, 2019
Clinton, MS
Yeah. That's my thought too. Any brand suggestions on line out converters? Are certain brands better or are all kind of the same?

OP
J

jordanCS

CarAudio.com Newbie
Oct 19, 2019
Clinton, MS
Getting some copper 8gauge wire from knukonceptz with inline fuse holder and probably their basic rca cables. Any other suggestions? Am I forgetting anything? I've got speaker wire and such.

Also, I just noticed my surround has a small tear in it that I'm going to repair. Any suggestions on foam repair.. I've heard shooglue or something, but wanted to ask the experts :)

OP
J

jordanCS

CarAudio.com Newbie
Oct 19, 2019
Clinton, MS
I like the PAC LOCs ... if you don’t have a remote for the amp PAC even has one with a remote gain .. Scosch makes them as well but I find the PACs cleaner sound wise
I don't see the LOC from PAC with remote gain. I'll keep looking, but if you get a chance and can find it, will you link it here. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding the PAC website.

OP
J

jordanCS

CarAudio.com Newbie
Oct 19, 2019
Clinton, MS
I do have a remote bass control input on my amp. Is it generally better to use that than say the LOC-based remote bass control such as the one from above? Either way it's about the same price, so just trying to get a read on the accepted standard there.

It may not matter much, but I figured if I'm doing it, I might as well do it as suggested.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Trending topics

Latest classifieds