Here's some hatorade........

theyre in the same class buddy, thats why i was comparing them, and you helped me make my point that a WRX is a better choice because of its AWD

So lets actually do the comparison:

1. They both have the same stupid wing on the back

2. They both have 4cyl engines with turbos

3. They both have drivetrain reliability issues

4. WRX is faster until about 100mph

5. Neon is cheaper to repair

6. They both have about the same aftermarket support

7. They both understeer really bad in stock form

8. The WRX has better brakes

9. The neon has better factory support (read: warranty)

10. The Neon is cheaper and easier to put on a chassis dyno

11. Insurance is WAAAAY lower for the Neon

12. WRX has a better overall engine design

13. The Neon has a bigger interior

There's a few non-subjective comparisons. I've driven and raced and raced against both in SCCA racing. The insurance prices kept me from buying a STI, or even a WRX, and I don't even have points on my license.

BTW, SRT engineering did quite a bit of re-engineering on the Neon to get it to SRT status. It wasn't just cobbled together like that one dude said. Dodge, like Subaru had a team of engineers working on development for that vehicle.

Personally, don't think it really matters which car you buy if its for the street. Both cars are great, but they are both really bouncy and harsh. If I want a 4-door, I want some thing a little bigger, like a Legacy or an Altima (which I have).

I do have a line on a SCCA T-2 Subaru STI with full cage AND interior that is still street legal and prepped VERY well for 20k even. It's the steal of the century if you wanted to go racing. JRZ remote resivoir shocks, 3 computers, fire system, and spares.

i dont understand why dodge wanted to get into the econo rocket market and do it based on the neon, after the prototype Razor was getting all that attention?

And now they revamp the Razor aka Demon, maybe theyll get it right this time.

Im not sure if its a good idea to get a used STI/WRX, definetly not the WRX it doesnt have a bulletproof tranny like the STI, but any of those used is going to have hard miles on it.

Have you looked at any of the Mazdaspeeds?

The econo rocket market is a great one to be in. Get a boost controller and have the best of both worlds. Turn it down when on the freeway and when you don't want the power....then turn it up when some wanker in a disco era lead sled wants to show you how slow his car is.

yeah it really is a simple answer, you can pick up a used STi/Evo or new WRX for about the same price of a SRT-4.
The SRT-4 is also a dodge, and dodges are well...americas biggest piece of crap company, I respect the Hemi in their Rams but when you put Hemi's in a giant piece of plastic **** thats going to fall apart in 3 years doesnt get you respect. And thats pretty much what the SRT-4 does. It takes a shitty neon engine, adds a shitty turbo and intercooler that will reduce the cars life by about 3 years, and then on top of it all, the neon's boost lag is worse then the WRX or the Evo.

My favorite part is Subaru actually has a team of engineers that design the STi, from brakes, shocks, exhaust, the whole kit and kaboodle. The neon on the other hand is pretty much just a stock neon with a loud exhaust that makes me wanna throw up everytime I hear it. I dont care who you are, anyone that buys an SRT-4 automatically drops in my book, an most of the kids I've met that drive them are douche bags.

Sorry for my rant, It just hard to express how much I really really hate that car.
Wow lol lots of misinformation in this post.

SRT= Dodge's performance team/engineers. The SRT-4 is a lot different from a regular neon, just like the WRX STi is a lot different from a regular WRX. It has a different engine, transmission, wheels, brakes, exhaust, suspension, seats, etc. Turbo lag isn't that bad on them, full boost is right around 3k rpms.

okay well im gonna let you in on a little secret, a used WRX is about 13k-15k, and the WRX could annilihate the SRT-4. Maybe not from 0-60, but if you actually took a WRX and lined it up against an SRT-4 on a dirt track, the SRT-4 driver would be in for a BIGG suprise. Mainly because his car would probably crumble to pieces after he hit the first dirt jump...
lol

The WRX will more than likely beat the srt-4 to 0-60, AWD > FWD. However, it'll be short lived because the srt-4 will gain ground and eventually pass the wrx.

Nah just sedans, but coupes would be sweet......anyway...how bout reliability?
If you can find one that looks like it's been taken care of and hasn't had the **** beat out of it, then you should be fine. There are a few on srt forums with 100,000+ miles. The '05s seem to have more problems than any other year model. '03s had 215hp while the '04s+ had 230hp, they came with larger (stage 1) injectors which allowed for the higher power. The '04 & '05s also came with a limited slip differential.

I love the power they make for a 4cyl and at under 19k new
Id buy one not for my daily driver but id love to have one to play with.....Stg 3 is only like 1300 and that 350hp on higher octane...for fwd they move
When they first came out, they were $19,995. I believe that jumped to somewhere around the $21k mark before production was ended.

The mopar stage 3 kit is around $3000-3500 IIRC. But it's worth every penny, from what I've heard. There aren't any tuning complications, it's basically just a bolt-on kit.

They're only worthwhile in a straight line
That's true in stock form. They aren't that bad though for what they are once you start working on the suspension.

I have a friend that has a srt-4 im not gonna hate completley on them . granted i can't stand dodge besides there trucks only respect they get from me. but as for that srt-4 im not a big fan of just because the guy's around here by me make em look so fcked up i mean i gotta give some credit to the people that make em farely decent as a show car that can do it right and not look like sh*T. i'll take american muscle though over a ricer anyday.
Yeah some people make them look like ****. It's basically the same with any other car, some look good and others don't.

They aren't all bad looking though:

My opinion. I think they are ugly, but the can seriously tear some stuff up at the drag track. Its a impressive build by SRT. I still prefer a SS Cobalt Stage 2.
Eh, personally I wasn't that impressed with the SS. I couldn't really put my finger on it when I drove them, but there was just something about it I didn't like. Not to mention, their motors aren't bulletproof like SRT-4s. I believe they start having problems around the 300hp mark..

i dont understand why dodge wanted to get into the econo rocket market and do it based on the neon, after the prototype Razor was getting all that attention?And now they revamp the Razor aka Demon, maybe theyll get it right this time.

Im not sure if its a good idea to get a used STI/WRX, definetly not the WRX it doesnt have a bulletproof tranny like the STI, but any of those used is going to have hard miles on it.

Have you looked at any of the Mazdaspeeds?
Dodge wanted to compete in the sport compact market, thus the reason for choosing the neon platform. The SRT-4 was built to compete with the Sentra SE-R Spec V, SVT Focus, Mazdaspeed Protege, etc. Needless to say, performance-wise the srt-4 blew the competition out of the water. IMO, the Demon/Razor concept is meant to compete with the saturn sky/pontiac solstice. Hopefully Dodge will get it right.

ha good info bumpinn....i new i had that Stg 3 price way off haha.....but for like 350hp on the HOM setting its welllllll worth the money

Also of your gonna call that "still a neon", than youll have to call a Cobra,Mach1,etc. "still a mustang"

Or a Lightning "still a F150"

how's about buying a cheep, gass saveing car. and save ur money???

it seams the the thing to do is spend money like it's going out of style. when down the road we will all be in debt up to or eyeballs...

dodge is trying to get in the 'race' scene....
I think they've been in it for quite awhile now

1996%20Dodge%20Viper%20GTS%20Sport%20Coupe%20f3q.jpg

For all your fvckers who think they know what I should get....then tell me....what should i get? Looking for a fast car, less than 13 grand, FWD or AWD, considerably good gas mileage...what's the genius have to say?

edit '99 or newer

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.