helping finding me a new headunit

Participant count
  • Participant list

Popwarhomie
5,000+ posts

Team Lethal Pressure
Central FL
Okay I have an Alpine 9883 right now.I mainly use full speed ipod control. I would like a new headunit that has USB and AUX input ALSO. What I want to do is be able to plug my Droid into it and play pandora radio and use my 16 gigs of memory for songs on my Droid. Im looking more and more into flashdrives and I think I would like to get a 16g and just run it with the headunit. I also want to be able to use my Ipod with this new headunit.

So I need a headunit that has USB,AUX, Ipod, atleast 2 preouts for highs and sub amp, and have a price around $150.

I was about to order a Alpine 102 which would be perfect BUT last second I search and see they wont read over 4gig flashdrives... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif (I need atleast 8gig)

Any other recommendations? Should I forget my ipod and just run a flashdrive for everything? With flashdrives can you still search for a title of a song through the headunit?

Thank you for the help. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

If you dont mind USB in the front you should check out the Pioneer DEH-P4200UB it has front USB and AUX I actually have one and it is a pretty good headunit. It has 3 4volt pre outs for sub, front, rear. 5 band graphic EQ. It plays usb thumb drives flawlessly and works very well with Ipod/Iphones as well. I just upgraded because I personally didnt like the USB in the front. I think it makes it look cheap with all the wires or usb stick sitting there in plain sight. Plus my car has double din capability so I wanted something that would take advantage of that.

In my experience with all the headunits I have used you cannot search for artist name or anything like that with a flash drive, you need an Ipod for that. What I did when I used a flash drive though, was just organize all the files on the drive into folders which does make it alot easier than just having everything on there loose. Oh and BTW the pioneer headunit I recommended supports 16 gig flash drives thats the size I used with it, and it worked flawlessly and lightning fast!

Thank you very much for your help. Looks like thats my best bet so far. Reason I like Alpine is they have the Ipod cable so I can keep my Ipod in my glovebox and see no wiring. I was just going to use USB for a flashdrive. But I can deal with that I guess. Maybe ill just use a flashdrive.

My buddy has a pioneer 5900 and its nice but the one thing I dont like about Pioneer is how much you have to turn the volume up. I think they go to 62(compared to Alpines 35) So it takes a while to turn up or down. I really like their little remotes though.

So far its either the 3200 or the 4200.

Id go with the 4200 IMO it looks alot better and i have experience with it. I cant really say about the 3200 as ive never used it. Im sure it isnt bad though i just dont really care for the looks of it.

I was reading something that said the 4200 wont charge your ipod with in USB port? Now I cant find where I read that..

But The 3200 and 4200 are pretty equal in things I want. The 4200 does have 4 volt outputs though and its blue so it would match my gauges. But is it worth the $30 more.. Hmmm. 4200 is $150 and the 3200 is $120

Well I ended up getting an Alpine CDA-105. This will be my 4th Alpine. Im a sucker for them I guess. The more I thought about it the more I didn't want front USB and AUX. I like to keep my ipod in my glove box at all times.

The only thing the 105 lacks is a good Equalizer and 4 volt preouts so I guess im going to look for an EQ. The alpine "imprint" is cool but $150.

Thanks for yalls help //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

you can get aux adapters for them if you want to have aux too, too late tho
Looking into them now. Why too late??

What would be best?

Alpine KCA-121B Auxiliary Input Adapter?

A USB to 3.5mm adapter cable?

A full speed ipod to 3.5mm adapter cable?

Been looking into getting a Clarion EQS746 since the Alpine has no EQ so maybe ill just hold off on the AUX input since I can use the RCA/3.5mm AUX with that EQ.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.